Electromagnetic levitating globe

amruth11

Joined May 24, 2011
Hi everyone i would like to know how to make a levitating globe using an electromagnet. I have no probs withe the electromagnet but the prob is with the globe. Can anyone help me by telling me a site which teaches me on how to make this. I have searched sites like instructables but they dont contain anything. So, plz help me out.:confused:

amruth11

Joined May 24, 2011
Thx mark but i forgot to mention this, i need levitating globe which has no stan and its base is below the globe, i hope u understand what i mean. Anyway thx.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I think I know what you are talking about. I made a levitation device once, and it required a hollow metal sphere (no magnets included in the sphere itself). I had the same problem finding a hollow ball like that as well. If you are willing to buy some, you can find them here, or you can try to make your own. If you ask me, I think it would be easier just to buy one.
Hope this helps!
Regards,
Der Strom

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
The particular Globe you are talking about uses a maglev system (magnetic levitation).... the globe has several neodymium magnets in it and matching electromagnets in the bottom base, the system has several sensors that constantly monitor the magnets above and power the appropriate coil underneath to keep the Globe "floating" above the base...... here are some you can readily buy >>>> http://www.gadgetvenue.com/levitating-spinning-globe-07201554/

and here is another project where someone "hacked" the floating globe, and also made it spin >>> http://hackedgadgets.com/2010/08/30/levitating-rotating-globe/

Jaguarjoe

Joined Apr 7, 2010
When I did mine 100yrs+2 weeks ago, I used a globe from a little pencil sharpener. It was about 2.5" OD and was imprinted with countries of the world. An electromaget above it provided the levitation, a lamp shining across the globe casted a shadow on a photocell. If the globe fell more light on the pc would energize the magnet and if it rose, the magnet would de-energize.
The girls loved it.
I have no clue of the technical details anymore.

amruth11

Joined May 24, 2011
The particular Globe you are talking about uses a maglev system (magnetic levitation).... the globe has several neodymium magnets in it and matching electromagnets in the bottom base, the system has several sensors that constantly monitor the magnets above and power the appropriate coil underneath to keep the Globe "floating" above the base...... here are some you can readily buy >>>> http://www.gadgetvenue.com/levitating-spinning-globe-07201554/

and here is another project where someone "hacked" the floating globe, and also made it spin >>> http://hackedgadgets.com/2010/08/30/levitating-rotating-globe/
Thx and i have alredy seen the video

amruth11

Joined May 24, 2011
When I did mine 100yrs+2 weeks ago, I used a globe from a little pencil sharpener. It was about 2.5" OD and was imprinted with countries of the world. An electromaget above it provided the levitation, a lamp shining across the globe casted a shadow on a photocell. If the globe fell more light on the pc would energize the magnet and if it rose, the magnet would de-energize.
The girls loved it.
I have no clue of the technical details anymore.
I have alredy done that one using the same technology u used, but mine worked like this
when there is light on the pc the electromagnet works and when the globe rises and cuts the light, the strength of the electromagnet is decreased and it drops. I used an IR pair in the first one but found out that the pc was more precise and better than the IR pair cause it allowed more current to flow and less current to flow when the globe rising and that needs a stand. I am trying to make a new one without a stand and which repels the globe and this one will be more stable like the levitron world stage, but i have to know how it works and the designs of it.