electromagnetic gyroscope

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by davidbenjamindix, Jan 3, 2011.

1. davidbenjamindix

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 25, 2010
    i want to build a magnetic gyroscope. this video is really interesting, but i don't understand the components involved.
    YouTube - one magnet no-bearing "magnetic gyroscope"

it seems the primary gyroscope is in some type of perpetual motion due to the 'magnetic motor??' next to it. it continues to spin at apparently the same speed after the power source was removed. can someone explain this to me. i have 1/2" x 1/8" Neodymium N45 magnets at home, and would very much like to build one of these for my walnut lockbox, which have posted a few threads on already.

i would like to operate a gyroscope with a little power as possible, and able to start it from a stationary position to full speed without making physical human contact. e.g. when opening a door, or turning on a switch, the gyroscope begins spinning and lifts to it's idle position.

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    The video is most likely purest horse pucky. Perpetual motion is not possible. The conventional gyroscope slowed and fell over due to friction in the cheap bearings and from the air. The magical one kept going because a hidden power source was still operating - it may only have one bearing, but is still subject to air friction.

Consider that you have seen utterly convincing videos of things that are not possible. This video belongs in that category.

You might be able to make a gyro start up and erect itself. That was the principle of the stable element used in naval gunfire control in WWII - http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-074.htm

3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    He clearly states he is charging a capacitor. If you look you can see it. I'm betting it is a very large "supercap", something in the Farad range with a low max voltage. Nothing perpetual or mysterious about it. Really large capacitors can be treated as batteries.

There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. TANSTAAFL. But if you study technology we can do some neat things.

Magnetic fields are not as cut and dried as you would think when you were in the third grade. It is possible to pick up aluminum or copper with an electromagnet, if it is powered by AC. The AC in the nonferrous metal induces a secondary magnetic field, which gives the primary magnetic field something to couple to. Just thinking about your egg post earlier, and the stainless steel egg.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011