Electromagnetic cooling system

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohanL

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hi everyone! Me and two friends of mind are doing an electromegnetic cooling system as a science project for school. The principle is the same as with a multi-stage coilgun, i.e multiple coils accelerating a projectile. There are some major differences though, the system being closed in a circulating path and the projectile made of (homemade) ferrofluid. The ferrofluid is then going to cool boiling water by passing through a refrigerant (dry ice) each lap. Due to the difficulties of optically trigger the coils, we’re going to calibrate preprogrammed on/off-switch times for each coil. We have no earlier experience in neither programming nor in using electrical components so we want to make it as simple as possible. We’ve been restricted not to use more power than what we can get from the mains (230V, 10A), but we’re going to need all the juice possible.
We have been advised to use the following components by some robot-builders:
1 Arduino board (because of its simplicity, however, we don’t know which model, but it must have the ability to control eight coils)
8 Capacitors 2000-4000uF, 300-400V
8 MOSFET transistors 2-3mOhm
8 MOSFET drives (model lm5110)
We have no idea how to put his puzzle together, which models to choose for best result and how to program it. Please help us!

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I think the project is difficult to keep safe.
High voltage and flying objects can be a real problem.

Forum members must not knowingly provide any information that may adversely affect another member; this includes, but is not restricted to, information that may potentially result in injury, death, damage or destruction of property and possessions. The administration takes this matter seriously and has the right to remove any contentious content and deal with the offending member as it deems is necessary.
Bertus

Status
Not open for further replies.