Electrolysis failure

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by scrambles, Nov 27, 2010.

1. scrambles

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 27, 2010
    so i am trying to do some home electrolysis and well my set up is rather poor an half assed, it consits of a water bottle with a piece of graphite going into it and then some stainless steel wire going into it as well

the power supply is an old 4 amp car battery charger
    i hooked it all up and i can even get a reading in amps and volts are 13 14
    an i used alot of salt in this and still got a reading of 100k ohms not sure on what to do or if you have any tips

also what would the ideal power supply be for this? as well as the for the electrodes

one more thing..... is it possible to make chlorine gass out of this because i think i smelled some

also i should probably add that i am just doing this so i can make a micro torch that runs on hydrogen

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  2. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    ?? My friend, WHAT IN THE HELL are you doing ??

If you are using TAP water then yes, you can.

If you are lucky, you are just boiling off some tap water and smelling the chlorine.

Chlorine gas will kill you.

You should be using distilled water, so you know what is in it.

You have to be sure the salt is dissolved in the water, not on the bottom of the jar.

What are you trying to plate?

3. scrambles

Nov 27, 2010
    hm i am just trying to get the most hydrogen and oxygen that i can so i can make a micro torch

4. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Butane is much easier, and micro torches are widely produced.

Looking for a renewable fuel for a micro torch will be an issue, as the Hydrogen and Oxygen would need to be compressed/cooled to provide any sort of useful run time. Not to mention the large explosive factor involved with those two gases in free air.

5. scrambles

Nov 27, 2010
    yes well that may be but i have other uses for this technology, this is just a small crappy project for which i will gain some understanding befor moving onto much bigger things

6. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    Well just don't try it in your car. It's a waste of time (and energy)

7. scrambles

Nov 27, 2010
    oh? why do you say that? what problems did you run into?

8. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
  9. scrambles

Nov 27, 2010
    hm very interesting but it still can be done

10. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    What can be done? Sure anyone can make HHO or Browns gas but it won't get you any farther on a gallon of gasoline.

11. Dream-

Nov 26, 2010
    The chlorine is coming from the NaCl you added as an electrolyte. Just how much did you add? This is dangerous.

As others have pointed out, if you are trying to produce hydrogen to feed into a car, just don't waste your time, it is useless.

12. scrambles

Nov 27, 2010
    not if one can find a relatively easy way find such power

13. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  14. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    You need to use something other than SALT to lower the resistance of the water. Sodium or Potassium Hydroxide are the most commonly used chemicals in industrial processes, but are quite dangerous and very hard to keep contained in a home environment. The safest chemical to use, that will give good results without making chlorine gas, or a bucket full of bleach water, is baking soda, or sodium bicarbonate. Use iron or lead for the electrical terminals, not copper or stainless steel. Copper will corrode quickly and stainless has a very high resistance and will waste electricity as heat.

You will find that it takes a disgustingly large amount of electricity to produce water gas.

15. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Would it not make more sense to call you local gas supplier and buy a 5 or 10 lb tank of hydrogen?

16. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    Get an iron pot with an air tight lid with an pipe nipple attached. Fill with strong alkaline solution(sodium or potassium hydroxide). Toss in small chunks of bare aluminum metal. Quickly put the top on and connect a hose to it. You will make liters and liters of hydrogen gas, until the aluminum is used up or the hydroxide base solution is used up.

One guy built a lawn mower that runs on hydrogen supplied this way.

17. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    I thought that made erectonium? ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_3_DVUDlRM&feature=channel

We used to do the same. Foil strips were too quick and could lead to over pressurization and rupture.

Use Aluminum soda can scrap. It is a slower reaction.

Be sure to use a relief valve on it.

You know, friend, you may want to look into using that.

As it requires NO external power to create the gas, and the aluminum can be found anywhere. Figure out how long the acid can be used, or how much aluminum reaction it takes to "use-up" the acid.

18. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I was using the etching solution of hydrogen peroxide and muriatic acid (off the shelf, 2:1 mixture). That generates lots of hydrogen with aluminum.

19. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    By 'acid', Retched is meaning to say the sodium or potassium hydroxide solution.

DANGEROUS CHEMICAL WARNING. It's nasty stuff if you aren't set up to handle it. Have tupperware tubs for spill control and lots of vinegar for spill clean up. If you get it on you in its concentrated form it will damage your skin two or three times as fast as a strong acid would. In seconds literally. Be prepared to use rubber gloves and aprons. be fully clothed and do not do this barefooted or barelegged.
    Treat it with utmost respect please.

20. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Yes. Besides the strength of the chemical, during the reaction ALOT of heat is also produced.

Heat speeds up most chemical reactions, including the reaction of the chemical eating your flesh.

Goggles are a MUST. Not sunglasses, not prescription glasses, but RATED SAFTEY GOGGLES.

If the soloution damages the skin in 1 second while its at room temperature, it will damage it MUCH faster at 200 deg F.

A long sleeve shirt is not a good idea, as it can hold the acid against your skin longer.

Use splash precaution.

And remember to research the crap out of your idea PRIOR to starting a build.

It can be fun to find out things in a surprising manner. But not when the surprise is flying shrapnel and acid.

You only get 2 eyes, two ears, one skin, and 9 lives.. Be careful.