Electrochemical Sensor and Op-amp

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by danieltanyeehui, Jul 12, 2009.

1. danieltanyeehui

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Hi guys, i am currently doing a project that needs me to create an electrochemical sensor. Basically, it works by starting from the sensor.

The electrodes of an electrochemical sensor provides a surface at which an oxidation or reduction occurs to provide a mechanism whereby the ionic conduction of an electrolyte solution in contact with the electrodes is coupled with the electron conduction of each electrode to provide a complete circuit for a current.

i have decided to use polyacetylene as my polymer. here is the link:
    http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/ProductDetail.do?N4=446009|ALDRICH&N5=SEARCH_CONCAT_PNO|BRAND_KEY&F=SPEC&lang=en_US

I would then have to connect the sensor, TO an op-amp circuit.

But i have kinda no idea on what chip should i use. i heard that 411 op amp is quite commonly used.

Do u guys think it will work?

2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Yes, that organic polymer has been used in sensors, as a quick search on poly[bis(methylthio)acetylene] reveals. Ion-selective or analyte-selective sensors often use op-amps or instrumentation-amps, as they are closely related to the lowly pH meter.

I suspect there is a lot more to your question, like how to get started? Please describe what you have done so far on this apparent assignment. Have you looked up any similar projects?

John