electricity around water ?

Bigcountry

Joined Jul 4, 2008
I have this project I am about to start but for now I am just brainstorming some ideas. But this brought up an interesting question. If you were going to use electronic equipment around water :

would you enclose it in a sealed case of some sort ? Or

would you buy some water proof circuits ?

This project is to make a shower digital. By this I mean to have digital display of the temperature, flow, and timed. Now knowing this is shower you can visual that water will be splashing around from time to time. So some of these will have to be water proof but I would install the rest in an enclose box.

My next problem will be getting all these parts together.

thank you for any help you might be able to assisted me with.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Shouldnt be so bad.

Yes, you are going to want to seal that puppy up good. Even the temperature change from the cold walls and the hot water could cause condensation in the unit.

I would start with your interface. If you are using a touchscreen for all control and display, that will be the only thing you will have to get in a water-proof package.

After that, you can have your processor/controller in a sealed unit a little farther away. Even if that is only an inch.

In between the 'box' and the 'monitor' should be some insulation. You can run the communications and power wires through that.

You can probably find a touchscreen that has been developed for "hot tubs", pools, or whatever.

Dx3

Joined Jun 19, 2010
Circuits like this can be done at rather low voltages, like 5 volts. That takes out the problem of getting killed, but they need to be kept dry. I'd guess you need a waterproof enclosure.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
In my experience water always gets in somehow, so include hole on the bottom if it does get in. If you don't it builds.

Be sure all wires and whatnot comes in from underneath so it isn't guided in by said wires. The bottom of the wire loop makes a drip point too.

Bigcountry

Joined Jul 4, 2008
Thanks for all the great information. I am focused on the big part of the project now.
retched : Thanks for the hot tub idea. I remember a couple of years ago I was looking at the circuit for a "hot tub". Some of those touch screens and the circuits is good place to start.

beenthere : that is good idea. That can be where the main components.

Bill : I was thinking about that because usually everything gets wet around water. after all seals don't last forever.

Does anyone have a good place that I could look for Flow control valves ? Because i have been looking and only found really large ones I don't think I am going to need it to control temperature of 500 plus degrees F and 1500psi. I am just taking a shower. ( little humor ) :D

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Well, if you wanted to get your BONES really clean, a 500degF 1500psi shower would do the trick. ;)

As for the flow control valves, there are hundreds of thousands of them on the net.

I dont remember if RE Michel carries them anymore or not, but you can give them a try.

Google will give you much better results. There are VERY low pressure valves used for hydroponics and standard gardening watering purposes.