Electrical Van de Graff Generator

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
Greetings,

I would like to build an electrostatic generator similar to that of a Van de Graff generator with a few modifications. First, I don't want it to be generated by a physical means like cloth rubbing against plastic. Instead I want to produce it electrically. What would be your recommendation on how to accomplish this? I suppose I could step the AC from a USA outlet for a transformer. I'd like to vary the voltage potential and have a low current output. You'll find something like it in the attachement. This project is more or less just used to "show" electrical lightning bolts.

Suggestions are encouraged!

Attachments

rjenkins

Joined Nov 6, 2005
The nearest pure electronic equivalent is probably a 'ladder rectifier' on a HV source such as a neon sign transformer, though you would still be pushing things to get anywhere near even a simple Van de Graaf machine.

Hmmm.. 'Ladder rectifier' does not seem to be a popular term nowadays..
There is an example in this document, page 74 (Fig 9):
http://lss.fnal.gov/archive/2007/pub/fermilab-pub-07-203-esh.pdf

Hopefully someone else will provide the popular name for this configuration.

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
Yeah, I know of a friend who fired up one of those ladder type devices; pretty neat.

As for a Van de Graff generator, I'm actually thinking I'll build a Tesla coil.

With a Tesla coil, it will definitely be a fantastic display of arcing.

Thanks for all the input, now I'll just have to make up my mind. ;)

flodyn

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Maybe too late to post so I'll be brief. A Greinacher / Cockroft Walton voltage multiplier is a good alternative. It is an array of diodes and capacitors shaped like a Warren truss with the diodes as diagonals and the capacitors along the beams.