Electrical Engineering & The Internet of Things

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by ci139, Sep 14, 2016.

1. ci139

Thread Starter Member

Jul 11, 2016
  2. Sensacell

Jun 19, 2012
    ...Mostly a bunch of tech in search of an application, breathlessly hyped by people that stubbornly refuse to look at the long term, big picture.

Most of these "big ideas" go to very dark places if you follow them to the logical conclusion.

OBW0549 likes this.
  3. OBW0549

Mar 2, 2015
    Whatever happened to Fuzzy Logic? I remember when that was the fad du jour and was going to revolutionize EVERYTHING.

4. ci139

Thread Starter Member

Jul 11, 2016
    cite "... refers to the growing possibilities of machines and sensors in physical objects communicating with each other ..."
    we have our energy bill formed by a reading by the "distant reading" through the power grid itself (as i get it) - me assumes this IoT also
    ? when the "Chrono Sync" pops to the market - that uses all avail - time sources updating automatically all your clocks in all devices containing RTC-s from alarm clocks up to to fridge - based on "last updated record" compared to :D:D:D most likely todays date :D:D:D
    the cite - above - sounds promising

5. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    Horsepower, no need to fake it when you have the power to compute the solutions directly.
    http://dabramovitch.com/pubs/fuzzy_acc_talk_2e.pdf

6. Sensacell

Jun 19, 2012
    While troubleshooting my friend's IOT lighting system - Philips Hue, where one light bulb refuses to behave, (rendering the whole system rather ridiculously useless) we found that a particular lamp socket position was problematic, swapping bulbs with others 1 meter away, the problem follows the socket. Mind you, these sockets are identical and on the same AC circuit.

After considering antenna radiation patterns, arc-induced RFI and many other esoteric gremlins, I was struck with a profound sense of absurd hopelessness, here we are, reduced to helpless followers of the IOT religion, and it's just a freaking LIGHT BULB!

Wifi has somehow made us all forget that sending information via radio waves is NEVER 100% robust. Needlessly relying on this technology creates a situation where failure always lurks within even the most basic infrastructure. Yes, we must now be willing to accept a huge failure rate as compared to what it used to be. Progress? Not really.

nsaspook likes this.
  7. ci139

Thread Starter Member

Jul 11, 2016
    ??
    while some of their products do succeed (i have those started more smoothly , lasted longer than anything before - the "S2 Ecoclick")
    seems they had found the right stuff in Netherlands
    [​IMG]

8. upand_at_them

May 15, 2010
    If all of my appliances wind up talking to each other they might conspire to kick me out of the house.

9. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008
    Bob Pease very thoroughly trashed fuzzy logic with his finely tuned gift of suspicion. We need a new Bob Pease....but I'm afraid he's irreplaceable.

OBW0549 and nsaspook like this.
  10. upand_at_them

May 15, 2010
    What I find hilarious about IoT-ish things: the laundry detergent WiFi order buttons. Because people have such a short attention span they can't remember to write "detergent" on the grocery list stuck to the fridge.

11. Sensacell

Jun 19, 2012
    OOoohhhh! the Amazon Dash button is the pinnacle of insidious evil banality.

We are creating a very scary future for ourselves.

12. ci139

Thread Starter Member

Jul 11, 2016