Electrical engineering railway apprentice project.. help please!

joshdaniel42

Joined Nov 29, 2016
Hi all,

Basically I have to do some sort of project within my workplace (train maintenance depot) to pass my college course. The idea I have is to turn the boring stop boards (see attached picture) we already have in place into devices which eventually display such information as:
-what job is being completed?
-who is working on board the set?
-when the set is due to leave?
-what is isolated? Batteries, brakes, transmission and so on

I want to begin with at least being able to display who is working on the set (up to six people) and what is isolated.
For the who is working onboard that set I would like to use some sort of identification fob or card which will link to the other stop board on the other end of the train and update that joe bloggs is working on the set and that it is not safe to move the train. For this I was thinking off using RFDI or some other sort of system. The problems I have are never ending, I have very little experience with this type of thing (only my second year of electronics). I would like to display the information using some sort of screen and the isolation will simply be done using an LED and a rocker switch but this also must link to the other stop board located roughly 20 meters away.

Thank you for reading :)

Attachments

joshdaniel42

Joined Nov 29, 2016
sorry i forgot to actually ask the question...

What type of electronics would you use and how would you advise me to progress? I am really struggling at the moment.

Thanks.

joshdaniel42

Joined Nov 29, 2016
Very true, also have you ran it past your colleagues, ask if they see any loop holes which could cause mistakes.
AIDayley

It turns out you are both very correct.. after discussing with my manager I now have a new project idea that can help the depot hugely.

When the trains come into the depot there are roughly 40 different birthing spots. Especially on nights when the fuel point examinations are carried out we have a lack of communication where a technician is sat down waiting for the train to come on to the depot.. I want to create a system where a screen can locate which section of which road a train is on and puts it on to different screens around the depot so that people can be aware which in turn reduces wasted man hours. The depot currently has wifi so I am unsure wether or not to use some sort of
-wifi module
-Bluetooth system
-rdf
Or any other ideas?

What would you guys suggest?

It turns out you are both very correct.. after discussing with my manager I now have a new project idea that can help the depot hugely.

When the trains come into the depot there are roughly 40 different birthing spots. Especially on nights when the fuel point examinations are carried out we have a lack of communication where a technician is sat down waiting for the train to come on to the depot.. I want to create a system where a screen can locate which section of which road a train is on and puts it on to different screens around the depot so that people can be aware which in turn reduces wasted man hours. The depot currently has wifi so I am unsure wether or not to use some sort of
-wifi module
-Bluetooth system
-rdf
Or any other ideas?

What would you guys suggest?
That sounds like wifi & gps the issue is security, all most all ebay wifi boards have no or almost no security downside you would have to install one on every train. You could also do rfid the benefit is they are prity secure, downside cost you would have to install one on every train (like wifi) and every where you want to check to see if the train is there
Best of luck
AIDayley