Electrical engineering or mechanical engineering

Abbin

Joined May 13, 2014
I am now in confusion with which engineering study i should do. I like both electrical and mechanical stuffs but without much thought decided to do EE previously. Recently one of my Mech. relative told me I was going to regret my decision as Mech. knows manything about electrical stuffs and have better job prospect. Well i know he was just bragging it. However it instigated me to think thoroughly and I want to know what sort of course and work exposure i can get in EE study so that i can follow my interest and i think people around here could help. Just going to start my undergraduate study in coming month.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Mechanical Engineering is a discipline unto itself, I suspect you are hearing arrogance speaking.

I have met more than one EE that has gone into programing, much of the mindset is the same and the money is really good.

I am not a EE, I am a EE tech. I can tell you within electronics there are many disciplines, no one can know it all. Especially in Electronic Engineering.

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Recently one of my Mech. relative told me I was going to regret my decision as Mech. knows manything about electrical stuffs and have better job prospect.
Ha-ha-ha! Whew, I needed a good laugh.

Most EE's and ME's I've met stick with their specific field. This means you won't find most ME's who know much more than a basic sense of electronics nor EE's who know a great deal about mechanics. Most I say, not all.

I have a degree in ME, but I've worked as an ME, EE, and software engineer. ME and EE have, dare I say it, the most job opportunities because each field is very broad.

Most school programs have elective courses that let you branch out of your primary field of study. While most of my classes revolved around mechanics, thermodynamics, and the like, I was also able to take robotics and programming. This didn't allow me to jump into an EE job right out of college, but it gave me the ability to understand and pursue electronics later. I'm sure there are similar courses for EE's.

It really boils down to the companies you work for and what you want to do.

Ask yourself what it is you really want to do most of the time. Not all, just most. Would you rather spend most of your time drawing mechanical assemblies on a CAD program or designing circuits? Are you more interested in working with electronics or mechanical things such as engines, machinery, etc.? You won't limit your job opportunities by picking one field or the other, but you could limit your ability to get a job doing whatever it is you are MOST passionate about.

Unsure? Join some professional student organizations at your school. Look for a student organization for ME and EE and/or look for big projects being done by seniors that allow underclassmen to join. That will give you a hands-on project and allow you to better "see" the type of work each field does.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
they are both pretty good fields, if you can get an understanding of the fundamentals. if you really cant decide, why not go into one, and the other as a hobby?

Abbin

Joined May 13, 2014
thank you! I find the field of renewable clean energy very intriguing. Would pursuing EE course be best for me?

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
it could be, but there are many applications for mech engineers in renewable clean energy too, as well as chemists, boilogists, and physists.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
There are probably more interesting jobs as a ME in renewables, the EE jobs are mainly going to be converting power from a generator or solar panel to a higher AC voltage, maybe some control systems. Not that it's boring, but it's a well explored field.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I disagree with that! EE in alternative energy is a massive growth field.

There are fuel cells, high efficiency magnetic motors, vehicle technology, battery and power conversion technologies, energy saving technologies liek smart lighting etc. The list is huge. :)

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Once had a ME as a boss. His biggest gripe was that everyone thinks they are an ME - think doesn't fit. While EE's don't have that problem. :D

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
If you spend some time with a good ME, you will understand the depth of the field. If you spend time only with people that THINK anyone can substitute for an ME, then you will never know.

Not knowing how much you don't know is a losing proposition.