Electrical Engineering or Electronics and Computer Engineering?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Coefficient, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Coefficient

Thread Starter Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Greetings all,
    Between these two professions,I am completely confused on which one to study in high school,while I feel Electrical Engineering is better,I equally think Electronics and computer engineering is best considering the rapid advancement of technology,but I still think one is better than the other..please I need your help as to one that has more job prospects than the other not only now but also in the nearest future to enable me plan ahead...
    Best regards!
  2. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
    Do the one you enjoy most, it's not like you are choosing between lamp-oil manufacturing and astro-physics.

Nov 30, 2010
    Look at which job the course prepares you for. One might be more for power grid design and the other for transistor design.
  4. wmodavis

Oct 23, 2010
    Better is in the eye of the beholder. What is better for me may not be better for you. Which ever one you choose you may spend lots of time doing it so as sirch2 says "Do the one you enjoy most". You DO not want to spend your career doing what you loath.
  5. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    You like ICs and CPUs or power plants? There will always be jobs for both, especially for talented people.

I studied Electrical and Computer Engineering. The major was heavily subsidized by my state in the mid to late 80's, so it made it cheaper to go to a private university. I got to study almost all I wanted, but was not allowed to take a few courses that were considered primarily Electrical Engineering at the time (for example, RF Communications).

My guess is that even RF would be allowed today....
  6. Coefficient

Thread Starter Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Naturally,I love household electrical wiring as much as I love electronics,the two are very essential to me,while household,industrial electrical wiring is what I have do have much passion for,it requires one to be registered in order to take up such job.......and I think before one could achieve that,he must be a registered Electrical Engineer rather than being a registered Electronics Engineer.
    Can Electronics Engineer as well be seen as an Electrical Engineer?..best regards