Electrical Engineering Degree

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Khalid Abur-Rahman, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Khalid Abur-Rahman

Thread Starter Active Member

Dec 25, 2008
    Is getting an Electrical Engineering degree even worth it??.. I graduated from ITT Tech with a bachelors degree in Electronics. I wanted something better, so I decided to do University all over again as normal colleges don't accept ITT's credits. I'm currently enrolled, now I am thinking if getting a whole other bachelors will even be worth it. I'll have it with a major or minor in Electronics. Is the job market still good for Electrical Engineers??

2. mikeysela

Jul 24, 2010
    yea, get your electrical engineering degress and your p.eng. It gives you much more options to move ahead into managments positions than a technician degree. i.e = more money in the future

3. tubelite

Jul 20, 2010
    i've questioned this so many times. I was a part time math major and had no interest in the subject. Then i asked myself would a change in fields help me and what would i like to do. I decided that i wanted to apply myself with electronics, so, i chose EE. I loved learning about all types of circuits and electromagnetics and etc, although alot of the professors i delt with were really horrible. that's part of it i guess.

I just graduated and got hired as an EE for a pretty big company and i enjoy what i do everyday. I don't see myself in the future managing (i'd be a horrible manager) but designing. I study, eat and breathe circuits and EE stuff. I think you should ask yourself is this a field you enjoy and will enjoy for most of my working life or does it progress you towards your goals (yeah you have to set goals). ofcoarse money is a plus but i figure you gotta enjoy the stuff you are going to be doing. Either way, have fun. well, that's my rant....time for a midnight snack

Sorry my grammer is horrible

4. mikeysela

Jul 24, 2010
    May I ask what big company you are working for?

5. Khalid Abur-Rahman

Thread Starter Active Member

Dec 25, 2008
    thanks to all you guys. I will continue my Journey on getting that degree.

6. gootee

Apr 24, 2007
    I'm glad to hear that you are going for it.

I don't quite know what you mean by "... with a major or minor in electronics". A degree in Electrical Engineering is what I would recommend. But that's definitely not just "electronics". Some people did take courses to put special emphasis on certain areas within EE, when I was in school. But "circuits" is only one such area. And you cannot get an EE degree by studying only "circuits", or "electronics". But an EE degree will give you a wonderful, rich body of technical and mathematical knowledge, skills, and abilities, which should enable you to learn and do whatever is needed, after you get a specific job in the field (and in many other fields as well).

I don't know about anywhere else, but we have been hiring EEs as fast as we can, for the last couple of years. I work for the U.S. Navy as a civilian, in "electronic warfare". I still can't wait to get up and go to work every day. You can probably track the govt's EE demand and salaries at usajobs.gov .

Cheers,

Tom

7. lmartinez

Mar 8, 2009
    I would suggest to go for what you find enjoying to yourself. You may elegantly be able to write but not make sense out of it:cool:. Best of luck to you in your road ahead.................

8. mikeysela

Jul 24, 2010
    Gootee, I would love to get into electronic warfare! how may i enter that field?

9. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Go to work for a defense contractor and be able to get a security clearance.

10. gootee

Apr 24, 2007
    Well, there are many different types of positions for employment in the EW field. I happen to be in an EW program where we are developing new EW systems, as well as supporting existing ones. Some jobs in EW might not be as interesting. It would probably help to be an electrical engineer. And some knowledge of RF is probably a plus. And you would have to be eligible for at least a secret clearance.

You could work for either a contractor or the government. But how you find out where to apply, and for which positions, I'm not sure. I basically lucked into it, in the first place, after getting a job with SAIC (and then later being lucky-enough to be made a gov't employee). Maybe you could join the AOC (Association of Old Crows) and get clues from their monthly magazine. Or maybe there are some on-line discussions about it. And they might specify such things in the job listings at usajobs.gov. Not sure.

There are also some pretty-good books available on electronic warfare.

If you want any more-specific suggestions, PM me.