electrical engineering circuits

archryhockyracr

Joined Nov 30, 2010
i am given my circuit diagram with all of my resistances calculated. i am now to find the individual resistors voltages, amps, and watts (power). i was only given the resistor (circuit) total of 120 V and all of the resistances. how do i find these other pieces of information with the limited information i've been given. Need answer ASAP!!!

archryhockyracr

Joined Nov 30, 2010
i only have to total votage of the "battery" which is 120V.
the class never taught us about series and parallel circuits or how to solve for these factors with only one variable given.... i know how to use Ohm's law .. but i need more than just the total resistance to figure it out.... any suggestions?

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
i am given my circuit diagram with all of my resistances calculated. i am now to find the individual resistors voltages, amps, and watts (power). i was only given the resistor (circuit) total of 120 V and all of the resistances. how do i find these other pieces of information with the limited information i've been given. Need answer ASAP!!!
I'm confused. You say that you know the individual resistances and the total applied voltage. Correct? What does the circuit look like? Post a schematic. You will get more hints to help you toward your goal of knowledge.

tyblu

Joined Nov 29, 2010
Do nodal analysis on the entire circuit -- all nodes -- setting total node currents to zero (except for the source, of course). If you want a computer to do it by solving the conductance matrix, then you'll have to convert the voltage source to a current source using one path from the positive to negative terminal, first; this is called Norton's theorem.
There are some decent tutorials for this online, better than I can do, if you're having trouble.
Here's the allaboutcircuits version: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_10/2.html
This one seems to be better: http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Nodal_analysis

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Yeah, right...

I was telling my nephew that removing a Linux OS to install a Windows OS leaves an "error" in the master boot record. He said, "what does 'right click' mean?"

It isn't nice to intentionally run circles around people.
Some of them seem to deserve it, but it still isn't nice.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
There is some confusion here. You have an assignment -
i was only given the resistor (circuit) total of 120 V and all of the resistances. how do i find these other pieces of information with the limited information i've been given.
The fact that this is an assignment implies you have received at least some instruction in basic DC electronics.

The problems comes from why you feel put upon when members point you at further instructional sources. That is certainly not, a you put it -
It isn't nice to intentionally run circles around people.
It looks as if people were trying to offer some assistance.