Electrical energy

prashanth25

Joined Aug 12, 2012
Why electrical energy is preferred than the other energies like chemical energy,mechanical energy? Does it have any features than the others?

hexreader

Joined Apr 16, 2011
I would not say that electrical energy is "preferred" over other forms of energy. Each is useful for different jobs.

.....in fact, I would have thought that electrical energy is pretty much useless on it's own, and only becomes useful when converted to other forms of energy.

All depends how you look at it, and the context.

In what context is this Homework question asked?

(by the way, there is a sub-forum for homework. You may well find that this exact question has already been asked there before)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The quick answer is transmission. You can send power over wires, with great efficiency, for long distances. I don't think this is true of any other medium.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

As Bill_Marsden said, the electric power is easy to transport over wires.
Also natural gas is rather good to transport using pipes ans hoses.
It is used in holland for cooking and heating.
It is not as safe as the electric power.
A pipes and hoses can break and let the gas free, with all the dangers involved.

Bertus

PS in holland most of the electrical cables and gas pipes are underground.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Why electrical energy is preferred than the other energies like chemical energy,mechanical energy? Does it have any features than the others?
But mechanical and chemical energy are converted to electrical energy. The fact is delivery meathod. Transfering energy storing chemicals like natural gas, petrol, etc.. is not very safe on a large scale and not efficient. As far as mechanical energy PETA probably wouldn't be too happy. Unless we hire aliens to run the tread mills. Also you have environmental issues with extracting energy from certain chemicals.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Yes. Quite agree with hiring aliens. Probably Martians. Still, the birds couldn't sleep on the whirling v-belts going from pole to pole and that would still be a problem with the animal lovers society (PETA).

Thank you max. I was beginning to fear that nobody here has a sense of humor.
Some days you just can't get a laugh!
and editing this removed your "Thanks" :(

Last edited: