Electrical Construction Maintenance

tony8404

Joined Jun 11, 2008
Guys I would like to run this past anyone who takes a look at my post. I am trying to research and find out what Jobs pertain to or you can obtain with this title?

Electrical Construction Maintenance

To me when i see this title I have not clue to what it pertains due to it having three different titles in it as it is. This is a program offered at my school for a diploma which i am switching to but i want to see what is available for jobs on this title but seem to not find anything. I want to say working in a factory fixing motors or machines, upgrading, preventive maintenance ect..

In this program it does have single phase and three phase and motors in it amongst a few others. I know having this diploma will not make me an engineer or a technician but it has to be a start right?

Here is the classes offered in this program
Electronic Principles
Electrical Theory and Applications
Electrical Test Equipment and Safety
Electrical Construction - Residential
Electrical Construction II
3-Phase Systems
Programmable Controllers
Essential Workplace Skills

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
I am nearing completion on my AAS in electrical technology, similar to yours, more emphasis on electronics... (my 2nd career) I feel it will give you priority over non educated applicants as they have no theory so they will have to start from scratch.(not considered) I would think about some type of internship because nothing beats hands-on expierence. This program will get you an entry level position in ...say a hospital, factory, etc. where you may work on both industrial controls, as well as residential type wiring. My 2 cents, I'm trying to start in the I&C dept. at the plant where I work. Have a ball, there's a lot to learn. Then when you graduate, you can really start learning.:cool:

tony8404

Joined Jun 11, 2008
mbohuntr, thanks for the reply, its great to see i am not the only one... Thanks for the reassurance with the course i took at this school i was feeling like it was a waste. Now i guess i will just read some more and go back to finish the other half. i was thinking i would not be able to get a job with this piece of paper maybe i was wrong lol

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
Anything electronic, or electrical has the kiddies running scared, seems they don't like formulas and physics:rolleyes: Way I see it, Robots took over my fabricating jobs, but they break down too.... Lots of work just prior to the recession, it should rebound. Your gonna love PLC's, They're harder than they look.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I've worked in electrical construction and I've worked in electrical maintenance. The difference is primarily the extent to which the building is occupied during the work, and the extent of the work. One also does more troubleshooting when working maintenance, as folk do the darnedest things with their wires.

If I were you, I would check to see which licenses (if any) are required for the type of work you want to do. Then I would find a training program resulting in said licenses.

Would the school offering the course hire you for doing the work outlined in the course?