Electric shocker with different intensities?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by TheComet, Jun 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheComet

    Thread Starter Member

    Mar 11, 2013
    88
    12
    Hey all,

    For a psychological experiment I was given the task to create an electric shocker to shock human test subjects through their hands.

    Obviously I do not want to kill anyone, and would like some help with the concept of this design.

    There doesn't seem to be enough information available on the study of shocking people in a controlled environment. My question is the following:

    What determines the intensity of an electric shock? Is it proportional to the current flowing through the hand? Or is it proportional to the power dissipating on the hand?

    Every hand will have a different resistance, resulting in different feelings of intensity. My goal is to try and make everyone feel the same amount of pain.

    Would I need to base the design on a constant current source? Would I need to base the design on a constant voltage source? Or would I need to base the design on a constant power source? (you know what I mean)

    Any help?
     
  2. Shagas

    Active Member

    May 13, 2013
    802
    74
    To create a 'shock' to a human you need relatively high voltages. The resistance of the skin is pretty high 20k-2M ohm depending on contact surface , skin moisture , salt on skin (sweat) etc.
    You would probably need 100volts-150 volts . The trick would be to put a VERY HIGH resistor in series with the source so that when a current flows then the voltage drops , or some sort of current regulation , dunno .
    The shock would also depend on the path that the current is travelling. If it's finger to finger then it's relatively safer , if it's hand to other hand then it's much more dangerous because It can travel through the heart etc ....

    The safest method would probably be charging up a veeery small capacity capacitor (less than 1nano farad) up to 100-300 volts and then letting that zap your patients :D

    Do NOT take my word for it , as I said this is dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

    Also , this thread is probably going to be closed due to violation of the terms of this forum :)
     
  3. Georacer

    Moderator

    Nov 25, 2009
    5,142
    1,266
    What Shaga said.

    The Terms of Service of AAC do not allow threads about shocking devices. This thread will be closed.

    I 'm sorry that we cannot assist you in your research.
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.