Electric shock

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by JAYASREEVASUDEVAN, Feb 18, 2009.

  1. JAYASREEVASUDEVAN

    Thread Starter New Member

    Feb 17, 2009
    2
    0
    Dear Sir,
    What is the reason for the electric shock when a radio receiver is operated on the top branch of a tree,above the tree there is a high potential electric line passing?
    So, could you please explain how this type of shock problem happening?

    Awaiting your valuable reply.
    Thank you,
    Sincerely,
    Jayasree.V
     
  2. bertus

    Administrator

    Apr 5, 2008
    15,645
    2,344
    Hello,

    Is the high potential electric line touching the tree ?
    A tree contains water that will conduct the current.
    How is the radio powerd ?

    Greetings,
    Bertus
     
  3. KL7AJ

    AAC Fanatic!

    Nov 4, 2008
    2,039
    287
    Well, I've never operated a radio from the top of a tree, but I have a lot of ham radio antennas suspended from trees.

    I imagine it's just magnetic induction you're experiencing. If there's enough potential to have a "feelable" shock, I'd say you're much too close to the power lines!

    eric
     
  4. b.shahvir

    Active Member

    Jan 6, 2009
    444
    0
    If High Voltage lines are involved, it results in electrostatic fields being emanated by these HV lines which in turn induces finite electrical voltages into the radio antenna by 'Electrostatic Induction'. The radio receiver antenna acts as a line capacitor; one plate being the receiver antenna itself, while the other plate being ground or earth which is at zero potential.

    When you touch the antenna, the stored charges try to discharge to earth thru your body, due to potential difference between receiver antenna and earth, which results in you feeling feeble electrical shocks or tingling sensations in your fingers! I hope this quells your doubt!
     
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
Loading...