Electric shock in computer case : reason and solve

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Max you can't ground a case that's 80 volts that's a big short to ground isolation transformer would work. If he use a resistor that could dump 80 volts but that's a band-aid.
The fact that he mentions the voltage collapses when a small resistor is connected indicates to me it is a leakage voltage and would not sustain any current!
Many pieces of equipment that are not double insulated and not grounded will exhibit this feature.;)
Most PC's are designed with a grounded case and should be used as such if and when possible.
Max.

Willen

Joined Nov 13, 2015
Hi,
My mains wiring diagram has been attached below:

Yes my guess is same, if 1k series resistor (between case and earth) can sink the 80V to 0.1V very easily then the leakage is almost nothing, and maybe safe to go with it.

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The equipment is designed to be grounded and therefore should for safety and other reasons.
Your installation is at fault by not using a ground conductor in spite of the neutral being grounded at the source.
Max.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Well Im in Ky and I wouldn't tell anyone to hook 80 volt's to a ground without seeing it myself they would sue me.
But want your saying sounds right if it's the case you could add grounding at your house that is a lot safer.
But the sys you have is safe it's the way they overload it and how it's used is the problem all the house branch off the pole at the transformer
Your nextdoor neighbor got a bad motor or transformer and you get the shock.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The equipment is designed to be grounded and therefore should for safety and other reasons.
Your installation is at fault by not using a ground conductor in spite of the neutral being grounded at the source.
Max.
That's why we used the isolation transformer to provide a 'separately derived system' for proper safety grounding of equipment designed to be grounded when overseas.
http://www.ecmag.com/section/codes-standards/grounding-separately-derived-systems-part-1-basics

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I don't see any need in the OP's case for any kind of transformer if the neutral is satisfactorily grounded?
And definitely dangerous to use the equipment as is done now ungrounded.
Max.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I don't see any need in the OP's case for any kind of transformer if the neutral is satisfactorily grounded?
And definitely dangerous to use the equipment as is done now ungrounded.
Max.
A high resistance ground to bleed off leakage voltages would work but that really needs some sort of monitor indicator for proper connection to be safe.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
But PC's and SMPS et-al, generally have R/C/L filters that are referenced to chassis (earth) ground and would operate optimally if they were earth grounded, not to mention the leakage to case of any ungrounded system.
If the OP is looking for an answer I would say set up a earth ground at the service entrance if there is none, even if the service does not supply a ground conductor he is only 200m from the supply transformer, also likely this will bring up the problem of insufficient conductor to the outlets.
Max.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Don't think that's a good idea he's in napal
The picture I posted is the rats nest they do. It maybe fine today and tomorrow set the wires on fire.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
IMO there is no short cut, either you provide a Earth Ground path for equipment that was designed with this in mind or you ignore it an take the consequences.:rolleyes:
It is Extremely unlikely that all electrical equipment in that part of the world is double insulated!
Max.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
It's not a short cut I'd worry about just how his power is there not a cut and dry fix basically he has the same thing as lost neutral I've seen maybe 10 house fires because that. With good grounds.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
My mains wiring diagram has been attached below:

@Willen I have worked on this system (residential 3ph and N) in the UK and it is customary for the installer to provide a local earth ground, as the service provider does not provide one, only the source grounded neutral, at least at the time I practiced there.
Going back to your OP concern, you need this local earth ground conductor, there is not much alternative if you want to prevent these minor shocks.
Max.