electric scooter please help./ Intro new member

miketkd

Joined Mar 5, 2015
Hey all aac members, im mike. new to the forum. not a pro at this, just a crazy thinker. i recently had an idea to make an electric scooter. I saw a guy on youtube use a bunch of solar panels to power a small 24v motor which was mounted to his bike.

My crazy idea: (2) 6v solar panels (1.5W solar panel 6V) connected to a 12v -48v step up converter (3 amps, 100 watts) to power a 48v motor (1000 watts, 20.8 A) while using no batteries.

Please keep in mind i have no clue if it will work, i just figured if i match the voltage it should run, im sure the amps and watts play a role though which is why i am here asking the pros... Comments?

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
Congratulations, claim your Nobel prize. You have figured out a way to convert 3W to 1000W and in doing so solved the world's energy problems. I wonder why no one else thought to do the same thing?

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
Whilst blocco a spirale's comment is a bit harshly worded, it does explain why your idea is a non-starter. But don't be put off, its part of the learning process

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
I do not mean to be harsh but, even with no knowledge of electronics or physics, simple observation should be enough to tell anyone that there is something wrong with the idea. If what you are proposing were possible, we should all be driving around in electric cars powered only by a small solar panel on the roof.

To be more constructive; forget voltage and current and think only in terms of power. If your vehicle has a 1000W motor then you will require solar panels with an output of at least 1000W.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Gentlemen, many people join AAC to ask simple questions on things about which they have little knowledge or experience. They are here to learn.

Please show a bit more patience and kindness in your responses.

In this case, the TS simply needs to be told that wattage as well as voltage of the power source has to match the requirements of the motor.

Roderick Young

Joined Feb 22, 2015
Conceptually, that's a great idea! The engineering realities are that you would need a very large solar panel with today's technology, unfortunately. But go right on dreaming, that's how new things get invented. For example, if we can't have a big panel, maybe we can charge a battery with a small panel, and make use of that energy later? And so forth.

Just for fun, here is the size panel I'm using to power a bicycle in bright sun without batteries. It's bigger than our dining table was before we had children.