electric motor

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Decca, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Decca

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Hello everyone,

Just woundered if anyone can throw any light i have on a electric water pump i am having problems with.

The problem is when turned on the motor gives out a buzzing sound but doesnt turn until i spin the fan on the end in the correct direction, its like it doesnt know which way to turn until i do it manually, ive stripped down and cleaned all components with still the same result.

Any answers Decca.

2. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    I guess its a single phase AC motor and the starting capacitor is missing.
    Any more information?

3. Decca

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    hi Mik3, the capacitor is in place infact i matched a new one but still the same problem, and yes it is a single phase AC motor.

Thank you so much for comming back to me so quickly, its doing my head in, if there are any other answers for my problem before i decide to dispose of it.

Kind Regards
    Decca.

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Does the motor have a centrifugal switch? If it does, it's probably stuck open or has bad contacts. Aside from the starting capacitor and wiring faults, that is the only remaining item in the starting circuit

5. floomdoggle

Sep 1, 2008
    Hey Decca,
    This might not be electrical. Try running water backwards through the system. Watch which way the spindle moves, if it does at all. Impellers work differently from propellers. Do you know what your motor is?
    Dan

6. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    If the motor spins freely (bearings aren't seizing up, pump isn't clogged with debris) then Beenthere's suggestion about a stuck/failed centrifugal switch seems the most likely candidate.