Electric Gate Problem - Probably a simple fix.. just don't know what I need.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by greenstone1, Nov 5, 2013.

1. greenstone1

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Okay here goes explaining this.

I have a 110v electric gate opener at my shop (very similar to a garage door opener with a longer throw) This has never worked and the last couple days I spent a little time trying to get it going. After messing with a lot of junk wiring to other buildings and controllers I think I have got to the 90% point and now I am stumped.

After the 110 comes in it converts to 24v. I have all the grounds and hot sides connected properly except the age of this gate does not have much for circuts/controlers.

I have made up a jumper wire that will provide a shot of power (Same as my opener will to various terminals) I have located the "OPEN" and "CLOSE" feeds for the opener and both now work fine individually.

The problem I am faced with is I need something so when I press the button on the remote once it triggers the "OPEN" feeders for the gate. Then when I press it the next time it triggers the "CLOSE" of the gate. If I loop the open and close together it fights itself. The limit switches work as they should.

I have no idea what kind of switch/relay/etc I could install the make it so 1 click sends power to only the "open" then switches it over so the next click (once the gate is open) sends power to only the close.... and this cycle continues.

The receiver I have only has one power trigger out. One possible solution is to get two receivers and program 2 buttons on the remote, one will trigger open and one will trigger close... I am hoping there is an easier way.

Thanks in advance,

Craig

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I have a circuit of a two relay flip flop, 2 relays, 3 diodes, 1 capacitor.
    Pushing the single button alternates the action.
    In the case of a gate, it also depends on whether it possesses other features such as impediment detection or jamming?
    Max.

3. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    There are basic relays that have a mechanical latch on them so that when pulsed they will latch into one setting (NO) and when pulsed again will unlatch and go to their second setting (NC).

As mentioned either a two relay flip flip or a variation of the same basic concept using a latching relay could be made to work.

I am guessing your gate must have some sort of limit switches the determine the full open and full closed positions as well?