El Wire Sequencing Help microcontroller or not

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by dizzy_chicken, Dec 2, 2009.

1. dizzy_chicken

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 2, 2009
    im going to attempt my first project with el wire and wanted a sequence just like the video http://vimeo.com/4214122 but i also didnt want to mess around with microcontrollers and such, mainly because i need to build a pic programmer and my software side of things suck.

All i can think of so far is a 555timer but i would probably need help on getting that running too. if there is any other ic's out there or circuits that would do the trick please let me know.
  2. russ_hensel

Jan 11, 2009
  3. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009

If you just want to build a similar device to the one shown in the Vimeo video in your link, it shouldn't be too hard to control the sequencing with a 555 timer and a 4017 Decade (johnson) counter, there are actually some IC's out there made specifically for EL lighting (such as Supertex, they also will ship you samples) I just got some sample EL driver IC's that have the capabilities of driving 2 EL's at once and each has a disable/enable line, so this would be a good interface to the 4017 counter IC's outputs..... the only downside to making this device without a UC is that you will be limited to 1 sequence of patterns (or 2 if only 5 el's are used)... with a microcontroller you can do more patterns and sequences....