EHT power supply design and construction

@Aleph(0)

While I realize the merest hope of (current) tutorial completion prior to the close of the year is asking way to much:rolleyes::oops: -- I'd like believe such will be 'in sight' come Jan 1:cool: --- So... What say we restore your faith in Royer topology and move on? --- I'll try to 'up' the images of the breadboard supplies tomorrow and ship them no later than Monday:)

Best regards
HP:)

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
What say we restore your faith in Royer topology and move on?
HP that sounds good since it's *you* that gets to make separate blog posts for each glossary entry:p!

I'll try to 'up' the images of the breadboard supplies tomorrow and ship them no later than Monday:)
OMG! Don't strain yourself, HP:rolleyes:!

You two are really just dragging your feet so Trump can take credit for finishing this.:):confused::p:D:eek::rolleyes:o_O
Shortbus it's just cuz I'm too dumb to get practical resonant royer Osc working:oops: For politics I'm happy with election outcome but life would have been easier If Hilly or Bernie won cuz then I could probably have gotten disability determination just based on blond colored hair and had benefits for life:D

HP that sounds good since it's *you* that gets to make separate blog posts for each glossary entry:p
Not quite! I will be creating a distinct blog entry for each abbreviation expansion - in addition to a 'sorted block' as a 'peruse-able' reference -- The glossary will be offered solely as a keyword-sorted text-block (across several contiguous posts if/as necessary)...

Best regards

I'm happy with election outcome but life would have been easier If Hilly or Bernie won cuz then I could probably have gotten disability determination just based on blond colored hair and had benefits for life:D
So... You would have preferred being Hillary's 'friend with benefits'?!o_O:eek::p

Ducking and covering
HP:D

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
HP I read through rough draft of your treatise on PA fundamentals and I don't understand why you are saying 100kv accelerating potential imparts 119.5kev to electrons by accelerating them to velocity of 55%c :confused:?
Cuz I say 100kv acceleration voltage has to give just 100kev which means velocity at 62.6%c

So I say you have splaining to do young lady:p!

HP I read through rough draft of your treatise on PA fundamentals and I don't understand why you are saying 100kv accelerating potential imparts 119.5kev to electrons by accelerating them to velocity of 55%c :confused:?
Cuz I say 100kv acceleration voltage has to give just 100kev which means velocity at 62.6%c

So I say you have splaining to do young lady:p!
:confused::confused::confused: Not much to explain beyond the quite obvious point that discrepancies inherent to 'Newtonianism' become appreciable at significant fractions of c -- Might I ask; by what stretch of logic do you equate/approximate invariant mass to relativistic mass in the described scenario!?:confused:o_O-- Time to exchange the Baileys with espresso, perhaps?:rolleyes:

Hopefully...

Last edited:
@Aleph(0)

So... I've created separate blog entries for each item on the expansion list (where's a 'red-eye' emoticon when one is needed:rolleyes:)

So here's a 'sample link' SOD -- Yes! it's as cumbersome and 'ugly' as 'H' but whatcha gonna do?:(

FWIW I feel we should 'roll' the glossary in with the link-able expansions - moreover 'conformity' may be maintained via implementation of the browsable references via a list of (auto-loading) links to each entry - thoughts?

Best regards

Last edited:
@Aleph(0) --- If you're sulking because I engaged in political debate following your admonitions and horror of horrors added insult to injury via plagiarizing 'peeps' -- please consider the following...

1) You're right! I should have kept my mouth shut:oops: -- That said - my comments (or, rather, my decision to comment) was in no way, shape or form a manifestation of disrespect for your views! -- Which you know I share!

2) 'Peeps' was employed merely to 'lighten the mood' in a manner parallel to (and, indeed, 'borrowed from') your use of same (in Post #2559 on the thread in question) -- it was not a 'jab' at you!:rolleyes:

Other than that I can't imagine what's with the silent treatment?

Tolerantly
HP:rolleyes:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Other than that I can't imagine what's with the silent treatment?
Ha ha! HP If I didn't know better I'd say you're sounding insecure:p
added insult to injury via plagiarizing 'peeps'
HP I kick myself whenever I think on how I should've copyrighted it cuz now everybody's using it and I'm not getting any royalties:mad::D! HP seriously! Did you think I'd go all incommunicado on you just cuz you used one of my _favorite_ expressions? Really?:confused::rolleyes:! HP I have a newsflash so brace yourself cuz it's startling! So here it is: I'M ALL GROWN UP FOR A LONG TIME NOW:rolleyes:! So if I was into hissy fits I'd be complaining abt your constant references to alcohol like I'm a juicer or something! But I have better ways to waste my time:p!
Anyhow I know when you have criticisms you don't make veiled _jabs_ you just say it! So relax!

HP As you know if you got voicemail I was out of touch cuz local telecom which is also ISP and cellular provider for entire township had broken water main which totally shut them down! So silver lining is I'm motivated to go through hassle of getting _Iridium Extreme_ phone but I'm just skeptical abt how it can have uninterrupted service at high latitude cuz if satellite isn't geosynchronous it seems like they'd need a lot of them for constant coverage of specific location:confused:?

HP thanks for work on expansions I knew something was up b4 I saw your post cuz I had like 50 alerts about blog entries:eek:! So I think it's a perfect idea to upgrade expansion entries to full glossary entries and I say we should do it with contiguous edition too:)! HP I say adding new linkable entries is no problem cuz they don't need to be sorted and if we use your idea of the contiguous glossary being just links we can just order them to get alphabetical document! HP the only thing is are you sure you can attach links to auto load destination text like you said? Cuz I don't know how to do that:confused:?

HP I promise that I'm working on Royer oscillator designs but I have side project that I need advice on:

So I want to use old redcurrant trace o'scope (which doesn't matter cuz it will be x-y mode anyhow) as radar display with just 5up1 tube. Also I want display directly constructed with signals instead of just cheating with boring video image scanned out from display file so that means echo will be timed and so range calculated by sweep instead of just digitally acquired and set up as video image:)! So it's totally retro but fun and challenging too:)! So it's easy to think on how pulse is keyed when cathode spot is at center of tube sweeping radially and z-axis intensified by echo but I'm asking you for ideas on how to make radial line rotate in step with antenna encoder? HP I totally understand it mathematically but practical realization not so much:(

Last edited:
Ha ha! HP If I didn't know better I'd say you're sounding insecure:p
...And you wouldn't have been too far from the truth!:eek: -- Seems everything I touched turned to sh__ the past couple days:(

So silver lining is I'm motivated to go through hassle of getting _Iridium Extreme_ phone but I'm just skeptical abt how it can have uninterrupted service at high latitude cuz if satellite isn't geosynchronous it seems like they'd need a lot of them for constant coverage of specific location:confused:?
Might I suggest that the search engine of your choice (or, indeed, contact with costumer service) is your friend?:) -- IMO operation via geosynchronous 'repeaters' should be 'manageable' to perhaps 60° (in non-mountainous areas)...

HP I promise that I'm working on Royer oscillator designs
Uh huh:rolleyes:

So I want to use old redcurrant trace o'scope (which doesn't matter cuz it will be x-y mode anyhow) as radar display with just 5up1 tube. Also I want display directly constructed with signals instead of just cheating with boring video image scanned out from display file so that means echo will be timed and so range calculated by sweep instead of just digitally acquired and set up as video image:)! So it's totally retro but fun and challenging too:)! So it's easy to think on how pulse is keyed when cathode spot is at center of tube sweeping radially and z-axis intensified by echo but I'm asking you for ideas on how to make radial line rotate in step with antenna encoder? HP I totally understand it mathematically but practical realization not so much:(
--Emphasis added--

Here's my 'off the cuff' approach -- note that I may well have overlooked something:oops::eek: -- Any problems or questions please let me know:)

Note: the following assumes the presence of centering, focus, intensity, (internal) deflection amplification circuitry/controls, etc...

1)
Process the signal from the encoder so as to produce two sinusoidal signals bearing a phase relationship of 90° and a frequency of 1 Hz per encoder revolution.

2)
Apply the signals developed as per step 1 each to the input of separate linear EMF amplifiers - hereafter referred to as 'X' and 'Y' amps - the outputs of which will be connected to the scope's Horz and Vert input channels, respectively.

3)
Simultaneously sweep the gain of the 'X' and 'Y' amplifiers with a linear ramp generator 'running' at a precisely controlled frequency consistent with the desired 'range' graduations and significantly greater than and (preferably) bearing no 'harmonic relationship' to the encoder output frequency... Note that each 'sweep cycle' should begin at zero gain (absolute attenuation).

4)
If desired, apply blanking toward the end of each sweep cycle to prevent the appearance of a 'rim'

Note: Achievement of a meaningful display requires that the trace (radial) is greatly intensified during receipt of the 'echo'!

BTW -- You will likely find the persistence of the 5UP1 insufficient for your application -- I suggest a tube featuring 'P7' phosphor...

Best regards

http://www.radartutorial.eu/12.scopes/sc15.en.html is a nice tutorial on how a the older radars worked. You might glean some information from this.

Of course there is a NEETS module on radar, which you can retrieve from the link below my signature.
Thanks @JoeJester -- I wish I'd seen your post prior to composing mine:oops: -- It's good to see resources for REAL (as opposed to 'virtual') instrumentation are yet available!:cool:

Very Best regards

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
http://www.radartutorial.eu/12.scopes/sc15.en.html is a nice tutorial on how a the older radars worked. You might glean some information from this.

Of course there is a NEETS module on radar, which you can retrieve from the link below my signature.
Here's my 'off the cuff' approach -- note that I may well have overlooked something:oops::eek: -- Any problems or questions please let me know:)

Note: the following assumes the presence of centering, focus, intensity, (internal) deflection amplification circuitry/controls, etc...

1)
Process the signal from the encoder so as to produce two sinusoidal signals bearing a phase relationship of 90° and a frequency of 1 Hz per encoder revolution.

2)
Apply the signals developed as per step 1 each to the input of separate linear EMF amplifiers - hereafter referred to as 'X' and 'Y' amps - the outputs of which will be connected to the scope's Horz and Vert input channels, respectively.

3)
Simultaneously sweep the gain of the 'X' and 'Y' amplifiers with a linear ramp generator 'running' at a precisely controlled frequency consistent with the desired 'range' graduations and significantly greater than and (preferably) bearing no 'harmonic relationship' to the encoder output frequency... Note that each 'sweep cycle' should begin at zero gain (absolute attenuation).

4)
If desired, apply blanking toward the end of each sweep cycle to prevent the appearance of a 'rim'

Note: Achievement of a meaningful display requires that the trace (radial) is greatly intensified during receipt of the 'echo'!
@JoeJester Tnx for the background history and theory cuz it'll help a lot to know big picture:cool:!
@Hypatia's Protege Tnx for the step by step:)! I hope you meant it when you said you welcome questions cuz I just know I'll have a few:oops:

BTW -- You will likely find the persistence of the 5UP1 insufficient for your application -- I suggest a tube featuring 'P7' phosphor...
So I have nos 5ADP7s which I think were replacement parts for old Navy SAs that you rescued from _Davey Jona's locker_ will they work good for analog radar display?

HP that's just uncalled for! When I say I'm doing something you know I am! So I got totally POed with Royer inverters and like you said I needed to take a break! But just today I've been experimenting with Mazilli and traditional Royer circuits on breadboard! HP you're totally right abt breadboard making life easier! I just never thought on breadboard for HV b4 so I'm happy with it cuz now I can keep sense of humor even when circuits are being totally uncooperative:)!

So I have nos 5ADP7s which I think were replacement parts for old Navy SAs that you rescued from _Davey Jona's locker_
Yes, indeed! I believe the UPM-84 SA used the 5ADP7 as its display tube... BTW - At risk of playing the 'usage police' it's Davey Jones' Locker!:rolleyes: Sorry but that was too silly to let ride:rolleyes::D

will they work good for analog radar display?
Indeed it will!:) Moreover, in addition to protracted persistence (phosphorescence), 'P7' phosphor exhibits a highly desirable dichotomy in florescent vs phosphorescent spectra:)

I hope you meant it when you said you welcome questions cuz I just know I'll have a few:oops:
No problem so long as you are demonstrably earnest as regards study of EHT drivers!:cool:

Very best regards

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
@Hypatia's Protege

HP I know ur busy but if you have time could you plz help me debug broken LNK362 circuit? It's in benchmark acquisition controller for laser ranging retroreflectometer that I'm restoring. So problem is it just stopped working and I checked PSU with foil severed to remove load but it just won't start up:mad:! Anyhow PSU circuit is totally new and worked a few times and now just nothing! And the components test good:confused:

HP I know ur busy but if you have time could you plz help me debug broken LNK362 circuit? It's in benchmark acquisition controller for laser ranging retroreflectometer that I'm restoring. So problem is it just stopped working and I checked PSU with foil severed to remove load but it just won't start up:mad:! Anyhow PSU circuit is totally new and worked a few times and now just nothing! And the components test good:confused:
Hey @Aleph(0)! I got your Email message (about 1hr ago) -- even tried searching here (no luck)...

Looking at the datasheet, the lnk362, etc appears a rather simple device... It seems troubleshooting should be a rather straightforward job for a basic scope and DMM...? I'll be glad to assist you but I'll need a more specific inquiry:)

Best regards

PS
BTW, as always - a schematic would be very helpful!:cool:
FWIW I'll monitor the site for ~10Min in case you're yet 'on':)