EFFECTS ON POWER FACTOR

Discussion in 'Physics' started by b.shahvir, Mar 2, 2009.

1. b.shahvir

Thread Starter Active Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Hi Guys, :rolleyes:

What will be the effect on 'Power Factor' of the power supply system under the following conditions:-

1) If I were to connect several inductors in ‘parallel’ with the power supply system.

2) If I were to connect several inductors in ‘series’ with the power supply system.

Thanks & Regards,
    Shahvir

2. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    What are your calculations up to now?

3. b.shahvir

Jan 6, 2009
    :rolleyes: 1) I think the phase angle between V and I would increase (resulting in a lower p.f.)........ if i were to increase the no. of inductors in parallel.

2) I think the vice-versa would occur if I were to increase the no. of inductors in series.

I am still unclear on the concept though........ didn't get a clear indication from technical literatures too.:(

4. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    Your thoughts are correct.

5. b.shahvir

Jan 6, 2009
    ;) Thanx...... but I would still require some kind of technical explanation or proof which could supplement my assumptions!...... and hopefully clear this concept.

6. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    By paralleling inductors you reduce the total inductance seen by the power supply and thus the angle of the total impedance decreases. Thus the angle between the voltage and current decreases.

By putting inductors in series you increase the total inductance seen by the power supply and thus the angle of the total impedance increases. Thus the angle between the voltage and current increases.

I got confused before :p

The total inductance of inductors in parallel is reduced.

7. b.shahvir

Jan 6, 2009
    Okay.......... but if that's the case, then i can easily improve my system power factor by adding a no. of lightly loaded induction motors or flourescent lamps containing chokes in parallel to the power system. They would, then, automatically improve system p.f. :(

Then, there would be no requirement of p.f. correction equipment like capacitor banks! :confused:

8. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    Power factor correction is typically worth consideration only in industrial settings. How many megawatts do you need in your application? And did you know that residential power factor is not usually monitored by the utility?

9. b.shahvir

Jan 6, 2009
    Thanx, but I think you have misinterpreted me............ this is a purely theoretical query. It isn't related to residential power supply either ;)

10. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    Calculate how impedance and phase changes in each case to see how the power factor changes.

11. b.shahvir

Jan 6, 2009
    Sigh!........ how easy life would be if someone can do things for us!! :D

12. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    If others do the work for you, you won't learn.

To learn something you need to practise on it.

13. b.shahvir

Jan 6, 2009
    Thanx, but I got the point....... guess it's back to the drawing board then! ;)

14. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    And expensive. You left out "expensive.":cool: