Effects of Permanent Marker on Electronics Components.

Nandish

Joined Nov 28, 2016
Hi Everyone,

We are using permanent marker (Camlin Kokuyo black permanent marker) for hiding top marking of ICs.

Require suggestion that, is this solution reliable? and if yes what should be marker specification?

Thanks,
Nandish

JUNELER

Joined Jul 13, 2015
Hi,
first of all ,what is the reason you are hiding the top markings of labeL of the ICS.

You are refering to the manufactures label on the top of the ics.

Thanks,
juneler

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Rubbing alcohol removes most "permanent" markers form a solid surface. But won't remove the paint marking on the IC. So anyone that knows this will still get to see what they are. Ramussons has it right.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
I'm no expert at this, but every case of the manufacturer hiding chip details I have seen has been what the guys said above, rubbing the top of the chip clean with some sort of sandpaper or grinder.

ramancini8

Joined Jul 18, 2012
Hiding the chip part number is useless because if it is profitable somebody will reverse engineer the product. Low selling price does the trick, or commanding the market upon release helps.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Hiding the chip part number is useless because if it is profitable somebody will reverse engineer the product.
It depends on what your purpose is.
Apparently your purpose is profitability. My purpose is different, and sanding the numbers off has worked perfectly for decades.