Eerie !

Electric Al

Joined Nov 6, 2013
Yesterday evening , after putting up some LED Christmas lights , I took some pictures of the house.

What's odd is , in all the pics I took , one string of lights does not show .

Is it possible that the flash of the camera cancels out that particular set of lights.

The lights all work fine.

Can anyone explain this phenomenon ?

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
LED Christmas lights are half-wave rectified so they're only on slightly less than half the time. Use at least a 2 or 3 second exposure time and reduce the aperture or ISO setting to compensate. For some cameras, simply setting shutter or speed priority may work, but if the metering system sees too much darkness it may set too large an aperture which reduces depth of field and color saturation, or it may blink some ridiculous error. Don't be afraid to use manual settings and experiment but watch out for noise buildup in very long exposures.

Electric Al

Joined Nov 6, 2013
LED Christmas lights are half-wave rectified so they're only on slightly less than half the time. Use at least a 2 or 3 second exposure time and reduce the aperture or ISO setting to compensate. For some cameras, simply setting shutter or speed priority may work, but if the metering system sees too much darkness it may set too large an aperture which reduces depth of field and color saturation, or it may blink some ridiculous error. Don't be afraid to use manual settings and experiment but watch out for noise buildup in very long exposures.

My camera is very basic , and there are no manual settings.

Thanks guys , I think I get the picture ! OOPS! That's a pun ! :)

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Did any other strings appear to be off in any of the pictures and it just so happened that one was off in all four pictures?

You could try a low light setting on your camera.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
My camera is very basic , and there are no manual settings.

Thanks guys , I think I get the picture ! OOPS! That's a pun ! :)
What camera (brand/model)? There may be a way to trick it into doing what you want.

At the very least, you have to turn the flash off to have any hope of success.

adamclark

Joined Oct 4, 2013
Its simple,, theres a poltergeist preventing that string from showing in the photo.:D.. Seriously though, that is a bit eerie that you would get the same results 4 times in a row, You should probably play the lottery tonite with you pulling those odds.