EEPROM Programmer using PIC

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by PRS, Nov 18, 2010.

1. PRS

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2008
    I've read the old posts on this subject, but I think my take on it is new. I recently bought a PicKit3 from Microchip. I've learned enough about it and the Pic18f45k20 to make an EEPROM programmer, I think.

My plan is to use PortB and PortC as an output-only address generator and PortD as a two-way Data bus. Then use PortA as a Control/Status bus. If I'm not mistaken, to program an M28C17A (2kb x 8) EEPROM all you need to do is set up an address and set up the data bus, assert write and wait for the Ready/Busy' line to go high, then increment the address, the data and do it again until done. Am I right or wrong about this?

I realize the Pic18f45k20 is 3.3 volts and the EEPROM wants 5 volts. So I have ordered a Pic18f452 to achieve compatibility. Do I need to make any delays? The EEPROM's R/B' pin seems to be all I need, except maybe a slight delay in setting up the data after the address? Or am I okay with no delays? This Pic18f452 goes in the programmer (hobby box)

On top of the hobby box is a small breadboard. Also on top is a 16 pin DIP socket that I can push wires into and this is the address. Another 8 pin DIP is the data. And another 8 pin DIP is the Control/Status bus.

My personal PC will contain a C file made by MP-C18 with an array containing program code (for an old M6800 MPU [don't laugh, they're paid for and on hand] which is to be written to EEPROM. Using PicKit3 and a connector on my hobby box, I will then program the Pic18f452 to write the code into EEPROM.

This overall design should allow me to program any EEPROM up to 64K. Also I can read the contents of the ROM and thus verify the integrity of the code. And this code can be the machine code for any MPU.

Can anyone think of a reason why this scheme will not work? Or why it will work? I'll sure appreciate your comments. I know my limitations! ;)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  2. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    You should be able to skip the PIC and program the EEPROM directly from the PICKIT3.

3. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Can you? I know they have a command line and non integrated programmer they've been working on. I didn't know the PK3 could do epproms.

4. PRS

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2008
    How? I don't see it.

5. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    I may have been breathing too many solvent fumes...

..Let me get back to you.

BUT, I was pretty sure..... ;)

[ed]
    Ok, I may be wrong..But I wasn't always! The Pickit2 could... But apparently it was dropped from the pickit3?
    http://www.microchip.com/forums/m535179-print.aspx
    [/ed]

6. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    This is all the latest software version of PICKIT2 can do - don't think it's much use.
    [​IMG]

7. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Slight Hijack: I wish the PICKit 3 has the UART and logic tools with standalone programs like the PICKit 2 offers.

Great for salvaging "bricked" Linksys Routers, between the serial and a JTAG port (last resort), haven't found one that couldn't be saved yet.