EEG controlled Wheel Chair

usamazahid1

Joined Jun 28, 2007
I want to construct a wheel chair that is controlled from the brain of human but i don,t know how to record specific signals from it. These is a regular term in medical terminology i-e EEG.What should i do?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Human brain to wheelchair interface? Sounds straightforward enough.
You're killing me over here. :D

It's an interesting idea, but would be extremely problematic to get even marginally suitable results.

There are enormous possibilities for unintended actions. Let's say a Pittsburgh user of this wheelchair with an imagination took a nap while sitting in it. He may very well wake up in Toledo. :eek:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
An EEG is a composite indication of brain activity. It does not have the ability of discerning any pattern of intent from the rest of the signal.

You might find some interesting topics to look into, like "squid" (superconducting quantum interference device), and see if there is anything on military heads-up weapons interfaces.

You might also recall that we have no solid idea of how the brain works, so designing a system to respond to an undefined input could be challenging.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I remember reading about some projects of this nature, literally state of the art research, and beyond. Methinks you're asking the wrong people, but the folks doing this research may not want to let their results go yet.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The first link reports results only a bit better than by random chance - not much control there. And no details on what they use as an input to the controller.

Link two is more possible. It uses voice recognition for the control.

Link three is pure fiction. No substance to the site.