EE

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by strantor, Apr 27, 2011.

1. strantor

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    If someone refers to themselves as an EE, does that mean they are an Electrical Engineer, or that they are in school pursuing a degree in Electrical Engineering?

2. Lightfire

Oct 5, 2010
    I guess it means they are referring themselves as an Electrical Engineer. If they are in school pursuing a degree in eletical engineer, they should say they are ee student or so.

:)

3. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
  4. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    In my country engineer is a protected title. You can not call your self an engineer. Unless you have have a degree from a certified engineering school. But anyway a engineer title is quite common. So it is not very common to put that title on your business card. It has no bling factor. Besides that you actually finish 3 years of engineering school.

5. strantor

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    What country do you live in? Here is U.S. I think it used to be a protected title but it seems to be used a little more loosely as of late. An example that comes to mind is (in an attempt to be more politically correct) janitors have been re-labeled "Sanitation Engineers" - not sure if that is legit or a joke, but I definitely remember reading it somewhere. I am a Field Service Technician, but when I was sent to work in Singapore, they insisted on calling me a "Field Service Engineer", so I know that the title "engineer" is not universal. I didn't fight it, as I kind of enjoyed being called that, even though it was incorrect. I ask because I am seriously considering going to college but I have seen (and answered) more than a couple of questions posted by people flaunting the title "EE" that really make me question whether or not I be any more knowledgeable if I were to pursue and obtain an engineering degree.

6. rogs

Aug 28, 2009
    Here in the UK, the title 'engineer' has been abused for many years. Whether you have a formal quaification as a 'chartered engineer' in civil, chemical, mechanical, electrical or electronic engineering, or are simply the 'tech' who comes to fix the TV or your freezer, most people associate you with 'blue overalls' and an oily rag!
    'Engineer' or 'tech? - same thing to most people here.
    It's a cultural thing. You don't find it in the US, in Italy or Germany, where the title of 'engineer' carries the same kind of respect as any other profession. As it should!

I've spent most of my professional career in commercial electronics design. I'm thought of as a design 'engineer'.
    Do I have a formal chartered engineering qualification? - No.

In most other countries I'm simply a 'tech'.

Mind you, on the other hand, I've met some pretty dumb graduate 'engineers', and some pretty smart 'techs' in my 35 years in the business.

And don't get me started on the talent in electronics that has been 'missed' over the past 30 years, simply because some guys don't 'get' formal maths early enough in their career.......

7. BillO

Nov 24, 2008
    The title 'Engineer' is supposed to be protected in Canada, but it's been abused to death. To be a real engineer here, not only do you need to have the right education, but you also need to be certified by an accredited engineering society. However, they are now calling janitors 'sanitation engineers' here too and bulldozer operators 'aggregate engineers'. Reminds me of ant Z. He was a 'soil relocation engineer'.;)

8. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    In this end of town, anyone calling themselves an Engineer MUST be a member in good standing. A none member will state that fact whenever they use the term out of context. It's like being a Realtor, your not unless your a board member.

9. magnet18

Dec 22, 2010
    I know!
    if you want to be called an engineer, work your rear off in college for four years, if not, accept the title janitor.
    Engineer used to be on par with doctor or lawyer... not anymore

10. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    There is another degree, Electronic Engineer Technology. Basically an engineer who builds things. That basically describes mine, even if it is only an associates.

11. mbohuntr

Apr 6, 2009
    I earned an associates in ET (electrical technology) What's that worth?

12. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    About six bucks.

;)

13. magnet18

Dec 22, 2010
    Whatever you're getting paid. ;)

14. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    [​IMG]
    You will probably get better paid if you are an ET :D
    By the way what is Lossy up to these days:rolleyes:. Stange how I was thinking about good old Lossy while I was writing this post. But well let us stay on topic. As I am a EE among other things. ( No Retched even if you think so. The amomg other things do NOT include a jerk :p)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  15. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    WOAH! Keep your hobbies to yourself! ;)

I am also wondering where loosie-goosie has been.

..odd that he is has been gone so long...

16. mbohuntr

Apr 6, 2009
    Brutally, glaringly, and utterly honest!!! What more could you ask for ????:p Fortunately, I havent started work in this field yet...
    Signed, ET ;)

17. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    If you have to go endless meetings, spend 6 hours a day with stupid paper work for accounting and HR, come up with bogus reasons (you can't say the cheapskates bought used junk to save money) for why some production machine is not working and have to deal with people who think a job is a playground then you might be a EE.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  18. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    OK, I'm biased, but EET is definately an engineering position. You can go as high as you want with the degree, including engineering.