EE Education

Pootworm

Joined May 18, 2007
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about going back to school for an EE degree. I've already got a bachelors in math, and I was wondering if going to a vocational school as opposed to a full university would dramatically affect my employability.

Anything else that anyone has to offer regarding EE education and employment would be really helpful as well.

Thanks everybody!

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
Hi,

A lot of employers want to see an engineering degree these days, so I would go for it. Unfortunately, I know quite a few people with Math degrees without employment in their field. I finished college as a technologist and it looked pretty grim for my colleagues when trying to find employment, I am yet to find out since I wanted my engineering degree also.

As a silver-lining, Math skills are absolutely essential for an engineering degree. We often joke how we aren't engineers, we're mathematicians :p

Steve

Salgat

Joined Dec 23, 2006
Hi,

A lot of employers want to see an engineering degree these days, so I would go for it. Unfortunately, I know quite a few people with Math degrees without employment in their field. I finished college as a technologist and it looked pretty grim for my colleagues when trying to find employment, I am yet to find out since I wanted my engineering degree also.

As a silver-lining, Math skills are absolutely essential for an engineering degree. We often joke how we aren't engineers, we're mathematicians :p

Steve
How come you went first as a technologist?

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
Salgat,

I'm an academic catastrophe! In highschool, I spend more time trying to design stuff than attending classes. I had pretty poor grades because I didn't care about what they were teaching.

I wanted to be a designer, so, I enrolled in the only academic level that would accept me. College was incredibly easy, so I figured why not use my improved marks and confidence to give university a shot.

I really enjoy the program and am almost done, so it seems like I had made the right choices.

Steve

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about going back to school for an EE degree. I've already got a bachelors in math, and I was wondering if going to a vocational school as opposed to a full university would dramatically affect my employability.

Anything else that anyone has to offer regarding EE education and employment would be really helpful as well.

Thanks everybody!
Before thinking about employment, it is worth giving a thought to your professional development - after all when you go for a job you are selling yourself and your development is something they are interested in as an initial selling point.

I would assume that the net result of what you are aiming to achieve is to go for registration with a professional institution; which if you are in the US (I am assuming here) it would be the IEEE.

You need to find out if the course at your vocational college is accredited by the professional institution that you are looking at registering with, and the course organizer will be able to tell you this.

Dave