Editor becomes very unresponsive

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by WBahn, Jan 12, 2015.

1. WBahn

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 31, 2012
    When I am typing a post, particularly a longer one (but not always), it is not uncommon for the editor to just get dragged down to a fraction of a snail's pace -- and by that I mean that if I type something that it takes two or three seconds for EACH character to appear! I'm assuming that this is because of communication going on with the server in response to each keystroke I make.

What's particularly annoying is that I can't just go over to another window and work on something else while I wait for the editor to catch up because as soon as I change the focus to another window whatever actions I have taken in the editor that have not yet been processed are discarded.

I don't know if there are any configuration options that might improve this. Thought?

2. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    It may help if you switched over to the basic editor by clicking the button on the top right of the posting menu (has a small wrench on it).

Edit: This one:
    Screenshot_2015-01-13-05-58-37~2.jpg

3. WBahn

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 31, 2012
    I'm skeptical -- but it is definitely worth a try. Thanks.

4. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    I note that in post#3 WBahm has a roman capital I, but in the edit box I get, the I is a single vertical stroke. The capital roman I is most useful.
    Yet when it is posted the default font changes.

Why is this?

5. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    And why do the "tag" buttons disappear when using the bb code editor?

6. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    Because they are a part of the rich text editor.

jrap would have to add those buttons to the BBcode editor separately if he wanted those buttons with it.

7. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    something wrong with your OS? How about free memory and resources usage (could be wrongly displayed), and HDD LED?

8. WBahn

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 31, 2012
    No other app is unresponsive, including other browser windows, when this happens. Also, I have a solid state drive that is quite responsive.

9. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    maybe your machine is overloaded with pulling the resources maintaining the port handles and running the scripts, or some system service is faulty and is resetting all the time.

Java can be a pain when resources are scarce it might not be obvious just in the way java needs it. I think the new forums use FLASH, and thats almost a receipe for a disaster.

FLASH + java + javascript + pulling external scripts and a lot of small resources.

Before upgrading the RAM in my netbook to double, I have seen this on daily basis- delays for single keystrokes! Windows loads + starts many unneeded resources, and when there isnt enough RAM, it starts juggling between RAM sections first, then involving the HDD too.

10. WBahn

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 31, 2012
    The why do ALL other applications and browsers continue to work just fine and ONLY the editor for THIS forum is bogged down to a crawl?

11. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    have you tried other browsers

12. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    I believe editors like the default one communicate back to the server to do all of the fancy stuff it does, which, if so, is likely where the issue lies.

Knowing what the editor is might help in finding a solution (or another editor).

13. WBahn

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 31, 2012
    I'm talking about the editor that is part of this forum -- almost certainly the same one you used to type the above.

Without using a packet sniffer, I'm only guessing, but I suspect (as stated in the first paragraph of Post #1) that it is communicating with the server for every keystroke. This has the advantage that the server can remember what was typed so that you have a saved draft of your post -- and this has come in handy several times.