Edit Functions Different from Posting Functions

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
1) Why are the tools available when editing a post different from the tools available when making a post? Specifically, why can we paste from clipboard when making a post (e.g., past a clipping) but we cannot paste from clipboard when editing? That means when editing we have to go through the save,upload, insert dialog.

2) Is there a tool for formatting tabular material without having to post as an image, See post #15 here: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/only-battery-charging-operation-with-charger.124248/

John

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello John,

For copy and paste you can use the regular ctrl+c and ctrl+v

There is a table function.
It has been used in the :
Components Selection Guide

It works as followed:

[table=nohead]MMIC's (monolitic RF amplifiers)|
[URL="http://www.box73.de/download/bauelemente/6571.pdf"]ERA and MAR MMIC's[/URL]| several ranges and powers
[/table]

You use the | symbol (on my keyboard it is the above the \), to separate the coloms.

The result will be:
MMIC's (monolitic RF amplifiers)|
ERA and MAR MMIC's | several ranges and powers

Bertus

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Copy paste only works in the original reply, like this:
upload_2016-5-29_6-12-31.png

Edit: But when in the edit mode, it doesn't work (try to paste image):

Notice the blank above? :)

Thanks for the help on tables. Will need to try next time.

John

Edit:

Tried snipping a second time and still no joy. Copy and pasting is working fine within Photoshop. Could be it a format issue? I am in .jpg.

John (June 4, 2106)

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
That table function works beautifully. I didn't know about needing the | symbol. If you click on the original link, you can see the result. Much better IMHO than a clip from Word.

Thanks.

John

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I'm not having any problem using copy/paste when I edit a post.

Previously I could only copy/paste only a single image into a post. After that I had to go the upload route. But now I'm not having any problems with that, either:

upload_2016-6-3_19-24-39.png

and

upload_2016-6-3_19-24-58.png

Both of these were inserted using copy/paste (during an edit after the original post was submitted).

As was this:

upload_2016-6-3_19-30-15.png

You might try going to the full edit page ("More Options").

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Copy and paste may be different than snipping (Win 7) and pasting. Tried edits to post #3 with same negative results.
Following is a test of text in edit mode:
This is a test.
(Copy and paste work in edit)
This is another test using the snipping tool of an image:
(Doesn't work)

Browser issue? I am using Chrome with Win 7.

John

Testing: upload_2016-6-4_5-21-46.png

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Thanks.

What I was doing was going to "more options," then using the upload file feature, as I had given up trying the (ctrl+V) route. Still, in an original reply, going to more options is not necessary.

So the question remains, why when editing does one need to use the "more options" to paste an image but not in an original reply. They work differently, but knowing now that "more options" works makes doing a fix of negligible importance to me.

John

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
As for why you need to go to More Options to be able to use Ctrl-V to paste, I have no idea. That is a decision made by the people that wrote the software. It could easily be asked why there is a need for the More Options to begin with -- why not just go to that interface directly upon clicking Edit. Usually the idea is to present a cleaner interface that suffices for most needs and to have access to a fuller interface if needed. That very approach means that decisions have to be made regarding which features are removed from the initial interface. It's the same when you are using the initial reply dialog -- you can do a limited number of things and need to use the More Options to gain access to the full suite of capabilities.

The designers therefore had to decide what the "clean" core capabilities are when writing a new post versus when editing an existing post. You and I might not agree with their choices (there are a handful of things I wish they had chosen differently and that I find quite annoying), but they were the ones that had to decide. If you haven't already, make a specific suggestion as to how you belief the software should be changed. An Administrator can then consider it and decide how they want to proceed. Perhaps they have the ability to reconfigure things or perhaps they will pass the suggestion on up the line to XenForo. I have done this for several items on my wish list.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

@jrap has programmed a shell around the existing xenforo software to give it the looks it has now.
When changes are wished, the best is contacting him, as he can alter the code.

Bertus

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
Hi @jpanhalt - This bug seems to be OS dependant. I'm testing pasting images in the edit overlay using Chrome on Linux and it works 100%. However when I test on a Mac it doesn't work. Not entirely sure why at the moment but I'll look into it.