ECG/Defibrillation Suggestions

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by erwiH, Mar 10, 2012.

1. erwiH

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Hi guys

I'm attempting to make a sort of AED device and I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions and/or algorithms that I can look into in order to detect Ventricular Fibrillation and thus when the device should send its defibrillation pulse. I intend to perform this calculation with a standard PIC.

Thanks in advance!

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I am locking this thread while I take this up with the rest of the moderator staff. This is dangerous, while you might be qualified (but then, why are you asking the questions?) most folks here are not.

After review we will let you know how we decided. This goes directly to the safety clauses in our ToS ( Terms of Service).

3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    OK, after review we've decided to let this one pass. I am moving it to a different forum since it seems to be more of a µC project though.

Have fun.

4. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    I would certainly hope this is a school project and not some misguided self attempt at auto-defibrillation.

However, I have actually seen worse from a past employer. I am happily no longer with them, though I am certainly open to testify for the family of any victims.

5. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Really? Wow, I would think this one would be shot down for sure. I can see maybe a heart monitor, that seems pretty safe but a homemade AED is an accident waiting to happen.

I won't be volunteering to test it. :eek:

6. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Well I think it is OK to discuss detection of Ventricular Fibrillation. But not anything about defibrillation process. Which I belive is not important in this project either

7. erwiH

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Sorry guys, I should definitely have mentioned in my original post that I'm not making a functioning AED, but simply one to demonstrate proof of concepts. Under no circumstances will this be tested on anybody or actually administer a medical grade defibrillation pulse but simply output a signal to simulate defibrillation (maybe via turning on an LED or something). If anyone has ideas for detecting ventricular fibrillation that would be greatly appreciated!

8. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    http://www.physionet.org/
    As a start at this web site you find recordings of Ventricular Fibrillation. It could be of some help. If you have access to Labview and a DA card. You may easy make a simulator. So for the method. I did a quick search on Google. And you may easy find papers about this that is free. I might think a standard PIC at least the 16F series will not be fast eneogh for this task. And lack of memory may also be a problem. Maybe the 18F series can do the job. But I think a 16 bit type would be able to do the job.
    http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=2551&pageId=75