ECG Amplifier

pvjoshi28

Joined Dec 10, 2010
Hello, I am designing ECG amplifier, but I have some doubt. I want to take lead-I and lead-II ECG from the patient. Is it suitable to directly take ECG from patient using the ECG amplifier circuit? I mean there must some safety precautions to be taken..... so, is it ok to directly take ECG?

Thank you.......

Im currently constructing a circuit on EMG. I think it may be helpful to read my post regarding EMG circuit construction since the circuit for EMG and ECG are quite similar.. I explained about the wires connecting the test subject to the input pins of the instrumentation amplifier

I recommend using the INA 128 Instrumentation amplifier (other choices are AD 620, INA 114), set the gain between 100-1000. The output of the instrumentation amplifier can be sent to a sallen key band pass filter to filter out unwanted frequencies..

To be safe power the ECG circuit using two 9V batteries instead of bench top DC power supplies. Other types of safety measures are to put an optocoupler such as the 4N25 at the output of the ECG circuit.. Good Luck!