ECE.. Memory!

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by C.J., Feb 7, 2009.

1. C.J.

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 7, 2009
    A 16 KB memory has a 16 bit wordsize. How many 16 bit words total can be stored in this memory?

I tried many things. My answer were 2e12, 2e13, and 2e14. All of these were wrong. Please help soon (if you can. I only have until midnight and have been working on this for over a day. It's not that difficult but I just can't get it.

A byte is 8bits.
    KB means 1024bytes

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  2. Cabwood

Feb 8, 2009
    First, figure out how many bits of data your memory stores. You used a capital 'K', which I shall assume means 'kilo". If that's the case then you should have used a lower case 'k'. The difference may not seem like much, but it's important. Using the wrong case in your units is a cardinal sin.

The capital B you used tells me 'bytes'. This is probably not the case, because memory ICs capacities are usually expressed in bits. If this is the case, then you should have used a lower case 'b'. A single byte (1B) corresponds to 8 bits (8b).

OK, assuming your memory is a sixteen kilobit device, it has a capacity of 16 * 1024 = 16384 bits. If you meant 16 kilobytes then its capacity is 16 * 1024 * 8 = 131072 bits.

Each word for your device is 16 bits. How many of these chunks of 16 bits would make up a total of 16384 (or 131072, if you meant kilobytes)? You do the math.