ebook contributions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by S_lannan, Sep 18, 2009.

1. S_lannan

Thread Starter Active Member

Jun 20, 2007
    where do you go to see the new material forum members are writing for the e-books?

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Notice the title under my name? It is basically to let me into a private forum for just this subject. Personally I like to put my stuff in the public eye for proofreading and make it generally available. I seem to be one of the few that do this however, it is pretty much an individual call.

If you want to see all the articles I've written go to my blog, Bill's Index. It is about to get a major reorganization since URLs take a lot of space, and my index is full (a revolting development). I'm going to have to branch out my blogs to create more room (another revolting development).

3. S_lannan

Thread Starter Active Member

Jun 20, 2007
    have any bulletins been posted about what's being developed and when it is coming out to public?

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    To be honest, it has been pretty quiet lately, maybe too much so. I've been working on cleaning up my material, some of the stuff I was convinced I was finished with had some bugs in it. My next big contribution is a series of 555 experiments, possibly a whole chapter that will likely keep growing. I've also commited to finishing the power supply chapter.

Last few discussions I've been pestering for some of the standards, max image resolution and what not.

There have been a few articles that are going to be installed, mostly digital stuff or active filters by the other guys.

I've noticed that now and then stuff is inserted without too much notice. It would be nice to have some announcements for the rest of the folks perhaps, but this isn't our day jobs, and I can't speak for every one.

Dennis Crunkilton is the editor in chief, with Dave assisting. I think Dave is on vacation, we haven't heard from him lately, and Dennis comes in here to pick up the proofreading feedback in the Feedback and Suggestions Forum, and doesn't participate too much in the rest of the site.

When I get a chance (about to step out the door) I'll point this thread out to the rest of the guys.

While I can not speak for Dennis, if someone would like to contribute you could do what I did, and enter a submission through the Feedback and Suggestions Forum to see if it is a fit. Dave's blog also has areas that explain how to contribute and the technical requirements for things like images.

5. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Bill,

I agree you need some form of standards. Schematics really don't need to have 24 bit depth when 8 bit is sufficient for 256 shades of gray.

Size wise, I'm sure less than 600 px wide and will fit into these forums nicely.

Larger schematics and color graphics are best reserved for pdf files.

But these are just my opinions.

6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Actually, that wasn't the point of the conversation. You may have noticed some of the beginning of the discussion in Suggestions and Feedback, but the meat of the discussion was where you couldn't see it.

You have to remember that this is meant to be a printed book. When it is all said and done, it needs to be able to translate smoothly out of a standard printer and keep the images intact. As such, even a 640 X 320 may be too wide. I'm not going to go into the rest of it (nor recreate the thread in this one), but I was trying to pin down and understand what our limitations are at this site for the graphic images.

If you've read my material on the 555s you'll note some of the images are 800 pixels wide, they have to change.

Another issue, ever hear of .eps graphic format? I hadn't, till I got here. It is the prime required graphic standard, and only the software Xcircuit supports it, with a few conversion programs. It is native it Linux, but there is a Windows version. After that it is .PNG, and ocasionally, .JPG for images. The main forum software doesn't support .eps, and the browser has to be configured to see it too.

Dennis Crunkilton is willing to work with the writers, otherwise it would be a major nightmare, but there are some learning curves when dealing with images and writing for the book.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  7. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    I think this is a good point, there is nothing that indicates what is ongoing at AAC, it just happens. That is mainly because it is a small set-up that does what it can when it can. There is a changelog maintained at ibiblio, see http://www.ibiblio.org/kuphaldt/electricCircuits/log.html which details changes that have happened. I must confess, I am not aware of how accurate the changelog is, although I assume each time Dennis adds something new to the main text it is recorded here.

There isn't anything about what is happening in the future, and that is something that might be interesting to look at adding. Is there a wider interest in the community to know about what is happening behind the scenes at AAC? Because this project is run and managed voluntarily, that means that there is not necessarily any timescales allocated to the project workpackages and as such we add new material as and when we can. I still want to devolve some control of the project into the hands of developers in-line with what I outlined to Dennis earlier in the year. Perhaps I need a sabbatical to really drive this forward!

Dave