ebay links and commercial website links?

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by tracecom, Jun 9, 2014.

1. tracecom

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    What are the rules about links on AAC postings, signatures, etc. to ebay listings of products for sale by members and to web sites with products for sale by members?

Thanks.

2. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    We read your alert a few days ago and are trying to come up with a consensus regarding the post you reported.

However, commercial links on signatures are not allowed, this has been established.

3. tracecom

Apr 16, 2010
    It must be a more difficult question than I thought.

4. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Yes, our answer is a bit overdue. I created a discussion in the Mods section, but it didn't really get going.

I already covered the signature part of your question. Now about the rest.

The main intention is to avoid making AAC a jumping board for other sites and stores. This is why we insist on each post having actual content, instead of just a redirecting link.
    Commercial links are a sub-category of that case. We do not want AAC to become a bulleting board for commercial ads. An exception to this rule is the Flea Market subforum, where Senior Members can post listings of things they wish to sell or buy. We do prefer transactions being posted and carried out within AAC, but we do not enforce this too strictly. The traffic there is sparse, so there's no need to regulate things too tight. 100 posts aren't too many, but enough so that hit and run spammers are inhibited. Thus posts and links in the Flea Market are real ads from real members.

Did I cover you?

5. tracecom

Apr 16, 2010
    Sort of.

I struggle with the concept of unenforced rules and loosely enforced rules; it often raises the issue of favoritism. My opinion is that if a rule is not worth enforcing uniformly, it's not worth having.

But, I recognize that questions are sometimes easier to ask than to answer, and rules are sometimes easier to make than to enforce. Thanks for your response.

I will continue to try to follow the rules of AAC.

6. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Do you want to post a related link and are wondering if it's ok to do so? Let us know if this is the case. Things might not be so tough and convoluted as you may see them.

7. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    what's the problem with real electronic components sellers?

There are not really many of them who want to use forums for advertising.

The real problem are parallel importers, dropshippers and wholesale companies, which may have some electrical stuff on offer, but not neccessarily.

Aka fake Louis vutton handbags, car accessoires, cheap necklaces, mp3 players, Appliances.

Since these are not electrical components, it is more or less SPAM/unsolicitd advertising.

Also they tend to repeat URLs even within a post or comment.

If you freely allow genuine electronics component sellers, for posts with URLs and signature, I'd doubt after 3 months there would be even only 10 different one's with adverts, signature links and posts.

I do have a new webshop now, and also ebay shop, it is linked from my profile, and every 2 months or so, I make a post in the flea market.

8. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    I agree. It is easier to enforce the rules when the boundaries are sharp and clear. In this matter, I believe that is the case.

1) No spam or uninvited solicitation for commercial purposes is allowed.

2) No links to personal sites, commercial or otherwise for the purpose of promoting personal interests or endeavors.

3) No links to ebay or similar sites for the purpose of advertising the sale of personal items.

4) Links or references to commercially available products are allowed only when a member seeks references to a particular product for the purpose of discussion and clarification or when a member seeks product selection and availability. This does not allow promotion of a product where the member making the referral has a vested interest.

In summary, AAC's stand is clear. AAC is not to be used for any form of personal advertisement.

The above statements are my own and may or may not reflect the opinions of all the moderators of All About Circuits.

9. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    By those standards we'd have to close the Flea Market down. Not exactly ideal.

10. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    We could have a different set of rules for the Flea Market? (since that is the purpose of the Flea Market)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014