Ebay Encryption

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have found that ebay is making it very difficult to contact a seller directly now, they do not allow ones email address to appear in a message.
Even the old Joe-at-yahoo-dot-com method is removed. :mad:
Anyone circumvented this?
I guess I could try the simple substitute numbers for letters.? :p
Max.

Last edited:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I have found that ebay is making it very difficult to contact a seller now, they do not allow ones email address to appear in a message.
Even the old Joe-at-yahoo-dot-com method is removed. :mad:
Anyone circumvented this?
I guess I could try the simple substitute numbers for letters.? :p
Max.
Funny you should bring this up now, I just had this problem last week. I can't remember if I reversed the email or what. Thanks for verifying though, it's good to know.

Matt

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I get at lot of car parts and other things on Ebay and have not had any trouble talking to the sellers. But I use the "ask seller a question" feature at the bottom of every listing.

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
Talking to sellers is not a problem.
It is when you want to contact each other out of ebay message system.
Max.
Which of course is exactly what they don't want because they can loose their commission. It might not be good for you either, at least communicating via ebay you have a third party record should there be a dispute.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
skype - skaip

however dont trade stuff with ebay merchantability on ebay.

If you sell things which do not find buyers or are not possible to list (for instance single electronic componets), I take the responsiblity.

I have less than 5% off ebay sales, or maybe about that, and I like using ebay incl. paying fees because transactions are recorded + I get buyers regularily + I can create a PDF catalog and so on.

I dont have the plan to bypass ebay and stop selling on ebay, but when I see it fit I do it.

You could pool purchases with other ebay sellers for instance.

Each time you think it would not sell on ebay, or it did not sell- sell it somewhere else.

Or you write:

my USA outlook is johngone

You can also offer to put it as ebay custom item, thats perfectly legal, and then you can discuss it as custom item your partner wants to buy, end of line.

one purchase, and you get each others emails.

but again, I really remind you as a ebay pro not intentionally to bypass it.

Its OK to give a poor student a one off with a deep discount, but keep it to a low percentage.

Many big chinese also have websites and they are supposedly allowed to do so.

Be clever and wise if you use ebay and keep it in good standing.

rules are there to be broken, but you have to know the rules (One Microsoft important guy said that).

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Which of course is exactly what they don't want because they can loose their commission. It might not be good for you either, at least communicating via ebay you have a third party record should there be a dispute.
But there are times where seller and buyer find they have a mutual interest in a certain area and want to exchange information, photo's, techniques, PDF's etc, and it gets too cumbersome through ebay message.
You may have been outbid so you do not get each others email.
I realize that Ebay do not want deals outside of ebay for obvious reasons, it is purely a monetary concern on their part.
I have been an ebay member since it inception, so I have seen all the 'warts'.
Max.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I just have a small image with the email in it and attach it if needed. Usually I use it so that we can exchange images or PDFs because if you attach an image to an ebay message they reduce the size and quality of it so much that it is useless.