easy to make led strobe

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by c.marsh, May 16, 2009.

1. c.marsh

Thread Starter Active Member

May 16, 2009
    okay so i've been searching and cant really gfind waht i need.

what i want to do is to make a strobe light using 40 or 08 white ultrabright leds.
    20/40 leds wire circuit wire 20/40 leds
    the layout would be ++++++++-------(-----)-------++++++++

both sides need to flash at a speedy rate but the rate needs to be adjustable and powered from a 9v battery cell.

this is kind of a long shot but does someone know where a schematic for this is or possibly draw up a stripboard layout schematic for this and i also need a list of components. im new to the led circuit scene so it needs to be simple. thanks everyone :D

btw only other circuit i have made are basic led lamps and a 8 led random flasher. these are for a camping trip. we go camping so often trying to make it more interesting

2. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    The first thing to do is abandon your desire for a 9V battery as your power source. They are feeble!

3. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    A 555 astable circuit can give you a wide range of flashing rates if you use a pot to vary its oscillation frequency. Also, you will need a few transistors to drive the LEDs because the 555 cannot do it by itself.

4. c.marsh

May 16, 2009

well i've ran a 9v for the 8 led flasher (that is actually powering 16) and runs okay. but anyway it has to be run from batteries.

5. c.marsh

May 16, 2009

thats for the detailed information. thats what i require detialed information hahaa. but what do you mean by a pot?

6. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    By pot I mean a potentiometer.

7. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
  8. c.marsh

May 16, 2009
    ahhh now i get a pot lol

those links are useful. but from what i've read the multirivrabtor thingy is just part of the strobe circuit right?

9. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    Yes it is. It will generate the frequency at which the light will strobe.

10. c.marsh

May 16, 2009
    ok so i had an idea. if i buy a £5 3led battery strobe and take some clear photo's of the circuitry and post here. would it be possible for someone to tell me how to modify it to take more leds and a larger power supply?

11. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    You don't need to post any photos. Just post exactly how many LEDs you want to flash and if they're going to flash at the same time. If this isn't a school project then someone will post a schematic for you.

12. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
  13. c.marsh

May 16, 2009
    definatly not a school project. 22 years old and from uk and working lol.

idealy i want to have 2 strobes. each with 20-40 white leds. i figured it may be cheaper and easier to purchase 2 battery operated strobes (as this is a feature required. not mains powered as will be used for camping) and modify that circuit to handle the number of leds and current+voltage required for such an amount.i've seen enough schematics and tried to work from them to know they confuse meto much. maybe after a few more easier projects from schmatics wont be an isssue but what i really need is a stripboard layout image of the schematic with list of components. though i live in a small town so i have to buy all the partds online and that can be easier said that done if you dont know where to shop.

14. c.marsh

May 16, 2009
    my last message left room for missunderstanding.sorry. it refered to 2 clusteres of 20-40. meaning 2 circuits running independantly on thier own. no connection between the two at all. and each cluster needs to have all leds flashing at the same time. so circuit a will flash all 20-40 leds at the same time to create a simple,effective, easy to make strobe light

15. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    I told you, earlier in this thread, that the 9V battery is a feeble power source. If you attempt to drive 20 to 40 white LEDs with it you're in for a rude awakening, also known as a reality check.

16. c.marsh

May 16, 2009

no need for rudeness. i've seen many circuits running that many leds from a 9 volt supple. even if its from more than one battery for example 6 AA's and there is nothing wrong with increasing the power supply as long as its battery operated

17. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    Last edited: May 18, 2009
  18. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    Tried to edit out ... , from .com. .com/LEDdimmer/LEDlampDimmer.html

19. c.marsh

May 16, 2009
    each unit would be seperatly powered

so would look something like....

[battery]
    |(wire)
    |
    [circuit]
    | (wire)
    |
    +++++
    +++++ (leds)
    +++++
    +++++

20. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    What does this have to do with a 9V battery? Do you think the OP is talking about a wet cell? So there should be no mistake.. I'm referring to your typical 9V 1/2" x 3/4" x 1-1/2" battery and so is the OP. The mAH rating of the 9V battery is ...is .. well it sucks!
    Is that clear enough? He better bring a bunch of them on his camping trip! :D