easy on the eyes ... invert win xp colors

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jut, Jun 12, 2009.

1. jut

Thread Starter Senior Member

Aug 25, 2007
    I thought I should share this tip. Late last night I was reading a PDF and began to be annoyed at all the white light blasting my eyes. I thought it would be nice to change all that white space into black and make the text white. So I began googling ways to invert win xp colors. I found three methods that were not satisfying: 1. using the magnifier to invert colors -- only does 1/2 screen max, 2. changing to high contrast via Accessibility Options in control panel -- looks bad, doesn't invert everything, 3. download a program called PowerStrip to change graphic card settings (invert colors) -- not compatible with my Nvidia GPU.

Finally I stumbled into the Color Correction in nView. Under the graph tab you can change the slope of the "color correcting line". By default it has a slope of 1 and crosses at 0, 0. To invert the colors, you click/drag the handles to give it a slope of -1.

Does anybody else invert their colors, or find the need to sometimes?
  2. KL7AJ

Nov 4, 2008
    Actually, I'm rather fond of THIS function: CTRL+ALT+Down Arrow :)

3. leftyretro

Nov 25, 2008
    That does nothing on my XP pro SP3 after I open a PDF doc. It would be nice to have black on white at night.

4. jut

Thread Starter Senior Member

Aug 25, 2007
    I'm guessing that was a function on his laptop that turned down brightness.

If you have an Nvidia GPU and are running nView it's fairly easy to get the black w/white text via color inversion.
  5. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    That should work on every computer running Windows - it inverts the display so it's upside down.
  6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Nope, only on certain video cards. Happens all the time at work, not that I know anything about it. :rolleyes: My personal computer uses an AIW 8500 card, and is immune from your Dark Forces. Sure is fun watching people who've never seen it before though.
  7. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    All it does for me is page down one full page.
  8. Nanophotonics

Apr 2, 2009
    Yep, same for me.