Easiest way to build a voltage sensor?

rudyauction8

Joined Jan 27, 2012
I hope you are not hoping to create an over-unity scooter.
A what? I'm trying to build a hybrid, and I've found that gas scooters are extremely unreliable while electric scooters are very reliable, but I like to go farther than the batteries will allow. I have access to welding equipment, tools, electric motors that can be used as generators and a couple 4 stroke engines, so I decided to have a bit of fun extending the range of my electric scooter.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
So your plan is to run a gas powered generator to charge the batteries on an electric scooter while riding.
Hmm, not sure about that idea.

rudyauction8

Joined Jan 27, 2012
So your plan is to run a gas powered generator to charge the batteries on an electric scooter while riding.
Hmm, not sure about that idea.
Already been doing it for about 3 days now. Works well so far, except the generator can't quite keep up with the scooter (extends battery life from 1 mile to 3 miles though) and I have to switch it manually.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
if it had a 9 volt regulated supply it wouldn't need the control voltage Zener
That's true. However, the 555-based window comparator won't do the job because of your revised requirement for the relay to be off when the input signal is <25V.
BTW, if you're using a relay to switch umpteen Amps for charging the battery then the cheapest type would probably be a standard 12V automotive relay. A more expensive type would be a SSR (but that would have the advantage of reduced control current).

burger2227

Joined Feb 3, 2014
I was checking out the 555 internally:

CV stands for Control Voltages even though this diagram is doing something else.

Finding a relay would be more difficult with 9 volts however. I'm wondering what type of relay could start up a gas generator anyhow. Electric starter?

rudyauction8

Joined Jan 27, 2012
I was checking out the 555 internally:

CV stands for Control Voltages even though this diagram is doing something else.

Finding a relay would be more difficult with 9 volts however. I'm wondering what type of relay could start up a gas generator anyhow. Electric starter?
Yes it's electric start, I'm using a 24 volt 1000 watt motor to generate the electricity, just hit it with a burst of power to spin up the gas motor, then it'll start feeding electricity back into the scooter. I know I'm overvolting the motor, I have quite a bit of experience with this, it barely gets warm and the only problem is the brushes will wear out sooner, I got the motor free and have a dozen of them so I'm not worried.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Hope it doesn't cycle too often
That would be a problem using just a normal window comparator, because of battery voltage drop immediately the genny switches off or when there's a heavy load on the battery. I think a latching circuit controlled by two comparators may be needed.

burger2227

Joined Feb 3, 2014
There will definitely be a voltage drop when the starter kicks in, but the battery is already on the low side.

Wonder how long the generator takes to charge it back up? Probably never monitored it.