Eagle versus ORCAD versus ???

dtekumse

Joined Dec 15, 2015
Even though this is already quite populated with facts and opinions, I will try to add some of my observations.

First of all, I think we need to separate the software in OS groups and purpose groups, if I may call them so. So, there needs to be a separate discussion if you are a Unix-based OS user and a separate one if you are Windows user. This is obviously the latter one, so I will omit the simulation/PCB software available for Unix-based OS (which is a pity, as there are truly remarkable free projects - e.g. ngspice). Concerning "purpose" here is what I mean by that: we shouldn't compare Allegro and Eagle, as yearly license for Cadence tools is measured in five or six digit numbers, while Eagle gives quite enough functionality free of charge. The same goes for tools from Keysight, ADS and its components. So, let's divide those in "personal" and "industry" groups. Since the original post questioned Eagle and Orcad, I believe this is a discussion about the former group, i.e. something affordable to mortals.

Thus, my suggestion (again, talking about Windows and cheap solutions) goes to LTSpice and Eagle. First of all, the free of charge version of Orcad (Student Lite, it is called if I am not wrong) is limited in number of nodes (or number of components, was it?) while LTSpice is completely free, with its full functionality. Furthermore, at the official website, an abundance of examples (and quite far away from trivial) is available. The possibility to introduce one's own models is, of course, there, just as in Orcad. Why Eagle? Well, there is the great functionality of directly creating the bill of materials and buying the components immediately. The autorouter is not probably the best, but, in general, if you want something done the way it should be done - avoid the autorouter completely - in any of the software. And the most important - the limitation of the free version is in number of layers and the size of the PCB. Nevertheless, two layers are more than enough for "personal" group of users (even for us at the University).

The honourable mention here is work-in-progress project called QUCS. It is a free software, released under GNU/GPL, already enabling quite a lot (Verilog-AMS interface, for example) and much more is to come, harmonic balance being one of the most interesting features.

Best regards.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Yes, Windows. Yes the free version of OCAD has limits. I seldom hit those limits. Most of the time my stuff is smaller than 3 pages and within the limits.

Thanks. Better in what way?
Orcad Layout (Max) is a discontiued layout program that used to be part of the Orcad suite. When you say "Orcad" now, you're talking only about Orcad CIS schematic capture. Allegro is the top-of-the-line (expensive) Cadence PCB layout software. It is difficult to learn, difficult to use, but powerful.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Orcad Layout (Max) is a discontiued layout program that used to be part of the Orcad suite. When you say "Orcad" now, you're talking only about Orcad CIS schematic capture. Allegro is the top-of-the-line (expensive) Cadence PCB layout software. It is difficult to learn, difficult to use, but powerful.
Yes, I just use the Capture portion. Once upon a time I made my own circuit boards.