eagle software ?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I have a cheap Ryobi drill press that I bought for $99 at a Big Orange hardware store. I can say with experience that it will eat as many #66 drills as you care to feed it, because the spindle bearings are not worth a darn.

If there is virtually any side play in the bearings of a drill press, you will do nothing but snap small diameter drill bits with it, and gouge your work.

Unless you have an extremely steady hand, use a hand rest, and have plenty of patience with a very light touch, you will have nothing but dismal failures using a hand drill; even a Dremel tool.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
My advice: If you don't have a Dremel or equivalent, get one. Get the best quality you can afford. I have 2 presently and wore out another one from my youth several years ago. If you already have a Dremel, then get a drill press attachment for it. Run out of the spindle is an issue, particularly with an adjustable chuck, which is why I almost always used a collet with mine.

John

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
There is no equivalent to a Dremel that I know of.

There are plenty of cheap knock-offs around, but none work as well or last as long as a real Dremel.

Save your money and buy a real Dremel moto-tool. No sense in spending 3x the money buying cheap junk that costs you in drill bits and ruined work.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ok , what exact brand/model would be the best for circuit designs
If I cann't find it locally is their an online store I can buy it from???
I don't want to be breaking drill bit left and right.
Also would this small precision drill press have clamps to hold be board from moving ...etc

Thanks and it would also have to be easy to get the drill bits for it locally in case I break one I don't want to be sending away for them every time.

Thanks

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Most precision drill presses that you will find will be quite expensive.

A Dremel moto-tool is an excellent tool for hobbyists, with many uses.

They also have an articulated drill press for them that costs around $50. I have no idea how well they work, or how precise they are, nor do I have any idea of your budget. However, you'll likely be hard-pressed to find anything less expensive that has a chance of being decent quality.

It won't come with clamps; you would buy them yourself. However, you would not normally want to clamp down a PCB while drilling it; just hold the board securely so that it doesn't spin around. Just feed the drill into the work slowly.

As far as drill bits, you will have to research that part yourself. Dremels generally have a collet for holding various tools. The collet provides very precise centering of the tools as compared to a 3-jaw chuck. However, the collet is designed to fit only one size shank/mandrel.

You will need drills that are mounted on shanks that will fit the collet of the Dremel.

I suggest researching on the Dremel site is warranted.