EAGLE Pad shape

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by parklol, Aug 23, 2012.

1. parklol

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Hi everyone,

How to draw a elliptic pad that has a elliptic via in Eagle. I tried many ways, but they did not seem right. Thank you.

2. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    You will most likely have to design the pad yourself if you can not modify existing ones... use the library editor to create/modify components.

3. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Ditch Eagle and use Diptrace.. :)
    An elliptical pad in diptrace is so simple to create.. Place a pad and edit pad properties, select ellipse as the shape and define the height and width. Done

4. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    How about using a TestPad?

Library: testpad -> TP -> TPPAD1-13Y

5. JMac3108

Aug 16, 2010
    I don't think you can do this in Eagle. I tried but was unable to figure out how. If you figure out a way, please post it here. Thanks.

BTW, I was using a thru-hole part (2.5mm power jack) that had a rectangular pin. I wanted to make either a rectangular or eliptical hole. I was not able to do this and was forced to use a round hole that was big enough for the largest dimention of the pin.

6. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Good..
    You NEVER want a rectangular through hole in a PCB.. Most PCB manufacturers won't even make it.. Others will just charge you a fortune for it. Same with obround/slots

7. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    Look in con-jack library, they do it with an oblong pad and milling the inside to get an oval.

8. JMac3108

Aug 16, 2010
    Mcgyvr,
    Of course I meant an approximately rectangluar hole - obviously it has a radius due to using drills :D