EAGLE News

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by jpanhalt, Nov 2, 2009.

1. jpanhalt

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I just received notice that Cadsoft (Eagle) has been purchased in its entirety by Farnell (Newark in the USA).

Newark is not a company that I associate with software. Do others have experience with software services from Farnell?

John

2. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009

Farnell has been going around buying up companies (they got MCM electronics a couple of years ago....), so I am sure they have a subsidiary for software services.... here is a bit from their Linked-In profile....

3. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    We bought from Newark for many years. They always had stock and anything you might want, but high prices.

One suspects that Cadsoft may start outputting bills of material with the Newark part numbers already specified.

4. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Sounds like a good marketing plan.

5. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    That is undoubtedly what this is about. I bet there will be a new feature within the program which orders the parts there and then. Joe's right, it is pretty smart.

Btw, I've not seen anything on the web about this, got a link John?

Dave

6. jpanhalt

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I have a non-freeware license. The announcement was in a letter signed signed by Edwin Robledo, which I suspect was sent to all paid licensees. The address in Florida for Cadsoft is the same, but Cadsoft is identified as a division of Newark Corporation. No specific links are given, just general ones for Newark.com and element-14.com.

My experience with niche companies being gobbled up by bigger conglomerates has generally not been too good. Communications, customer service, and focus on the products of the smaller company seem to suffer. "Enhancements," like linking to Newark/Farnell products may be more in the eye of the seller than the user, vis a vis Microsoft.

Edit: Here's a link from cadsoftusa.com

http://www.cadsoftusa.com/farnell.htm

John

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  7. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Thanks for that John.

Seems like our previous suspicions were correct:

Dave