Eagle lbr making

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by R!f@@, Mar 17, 2014.

1. R!f@@

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    I am using eagle and most of the time I need to make my own foot prints.

So I learned to make lbr and I did.

But I am having an issue.

You see when I download a lbr I get lots of part no.s and foot prints under one lbr name, say like a collection.

But I cannot do is tht.
    Say for example I made a lbr file called heatsink. I made the foot print and save it under heatsink. My problem is when I want another heatsink I cannot save it or rather I dunno how to. I have to save it under heatsink 2 or another name, I can't seem to put multiple parts in to one lbr.

I think I am dumb and I cannot figure it out.
    The tutorial does not seem to help me much.

Any one knows a good one I can refer or care to tell me how to put multiple parts and foot prints into 1 lbr and organize it.
    Or do I have to have a list of lbr for my parts which by the way is too confusing :confused:
  2. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    Each component and its parts have to have unique names within a given library - so 'heatsink' can only be used once.

The general convention is to create a library called 'Heatsinks' and then inside that have schematic symbols and footprints, each with a unique name that get tied together to make a device - with its own name as well.

You could have a generic schematic symbol for heatsink and have various packages for it TO-3, TO-220 etc. in various orientations - up, flat etc. that can be selected for the PCB layout.

Myself, I add the heatsink pattern to the package pattern i.e. TO-220-ThermalloyXXXX, TO-220-AAVID1234 etc. so I don't have to explicitly add a heatsink symbol to the schematic. Adding the part e.g. 7805 and selecting the specific package/heatsink brings the heatsink along with the component.

I hope I've answered your question.

BTW - I have created my own set of libraries of parts used/created so that I don't have to search through the countless parts that I don't use each time.
  3. R!f@@

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    I thought it as easy but I just can't seem to get the hang of it.
  4. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    Do your heatsinks have terminals like solder pins to the board? If not, I don't know how you would do that either.

Are you saying you can't add more than one part to a library even with different names?

Helpful hints:

You can extract parts from a big library to one of your own by:
    Click File->Open->Library to open the library to receive the part(s).
    In Eagle's control panel, navigate to the library that contains the part(s) you want. Double click the folder.
    Scroll to the DEVICE you want (not the pad layout), right click it and select Copy to Library. The part and its packages will be copied to your library.
    Repeat for any other parts/packages.

To make a copy of a symbol or package layout within a library for editing to make another version:
    Open the library.
    Click Library->Package or Library->Symbol to open the pkg/sym for editing.
    Select ALL LAYERS
    Draw a box around all elements of the pkg/sym to highlight all elements.
    In the command bar type cut (0 0) to copy the elements to the clipboard (note: its cut, not copy - go figure)
    Click Library->Package / Symbol again - this time click NEW and enter a new, different name e.g. TO-220-VerticalHeatsink for the edited pkg/sym. Click OK and YES at the warning. A new edit window of the appropriate type will appear.
    In the command bar, type paste (0 0). The elements will be pasted and ready for editing.
    Edit away then save.
    When you have your new package/symbol, tie them together in the DEVICE editor. If you are adding a package to a device e.g. add a vertical heatsink to an existing device e.g. 7805 using a TO-220, open the existing 7805 device, click NEW 'Package', select your new heatsink-equipped TO-220 and add it. Use CONNECT as you would any other device. Add description and technology tags and save it away.

Now when you ADD a 7805 from your library to the schematic, you can select the original package or the one with the heatsink attached.

But you still need different names for everything.

Have fun.
    R!f@@ likes this.