Eagle Footprint Switch

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Hi all.

I've recently downloaded a circuit which contains a PIC18F45J10.

This part does not come with the default libraries.

However, the footprint for this part is through hole, and I would like the surface mount version. Is there a way to switch just the footprint? I;ve tried downloading the component from farnell, however the schematic layout is very different.

Thanks for your time,

Sparky

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Hi, I need the footprint for the TQFP44, however I would like to keep the schematic layout the same.

All I want to do is change the footprint. At the moment, the IC creates a through hole footprint, but I'd like it to be surface mount.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
You'll just have to add a package selection to the device.

Open Eagle and open the library that contains the PIC by double clicking the library name in the Control Panel. A blank library edit sheet will open.

Click Library->Device and scroll down to the PIC18F45J10. Double click it. The library device editor will open. On the left, you'll see the schematic symbol, on the right various package options. Click NEW below the packages. You'll get a list of packages that are in the library. Assuming you have the one you want, click it. The package outline appears.

Now click CONNECT. You'll get a 3 part window. The left contains the schematic pin names, the middle has the package pin numbers (or names as applicable).

Click a schematic pin name on the left. Click its corresponding package pin in the middle and then click CONNECT. You have just assigned the schematic pin to the pin on the package. Continue for the rest of the pins.

When done, save it.

When you add the schematic symbol (PIC) to the skiz, you'll now be able to select the new package.

BTW: if you don't have the package in the PIC library, you can copy it from another library although TQFP44 is in microchip.lbr on ver 5.2.0.

Finally, if you downloaded the component, be sure to check it carefully.

Have fun!

Last edited:

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Here is the Eagle file.

See how it shows the pic, even though you don't have it in your library? I'd like to keep the schematic but change the footprint when I go to pcb.

I'm probably being an airhead here.

Attachments

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
I looked at the schematic and see what you mean. Without the 45j10 in a library, I don't know how you go there and edit it. If it were me, I'd just make a new one that fits the skiz then use REPLACE.

gimechip

Joined Dec 17, 2012
I have attached a 18F4620.lbr file as a .zip that contains a drop in replacement for this part. I used the schematic symbol from the schematic you uploaded to add the tqfp package. You should simply be able to use REPLACE to replace the part in the schematic, and update the part by "names" rather than co-ordinates when asked. -John

Attachments