Eagle: Drawings in tplace Layer Moved

sailmike

Joined Nov 11, 2013
I'm making a prototyping boards with 4 different kinds of LED's. When I rotate some of the parts, the drawings I added to the parts in the tplace layer got moved a bit. Will those show up on the board exactly as I see it in the board editor or will they show up as I see it in the parts editor? How do I fix this?

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Does "parts editor" = library package editor? Be sure to update the device while in library edit. Some changes will carry over automatically from package to device, but some will not. The latter are generally anything that affects a pad and/or connection. You may need to disconnect the pads in device editor. Update, then reconnect.

Also, after you make a change to the library, you need to updates libraries in your board editor or schematic editor screen. If doesn't matter which, you only need to do one. When you do, you will get a warning that some elements on the board have changed.

If none of this applies, then I didn't understand your question, which is not unusual either. ;) Please show more of the section of board that bothers you. I would not proceed to making a board with a discrepancy like you describe, unless it doesn't matter functionally. There are some other possibilities for things not moving like you expect. One of which, is some actions done without the appropriate layer in view will give unexpected results. The check for that is to make all layers visible before doing the action.

John

sailmike

Joined Nov 11, 2013
Yes sorry it's the library package editor, I just forgot the name. The plus and minus signs shifted over a bit when I rotated the part in the board editor. The photo labeled parts editor is the original look and the board editor is what it looks like after rotating the part. I don't know how to update library. What does that do?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The update is in a dropdown menu under the "Library" tab that is seen in either the schematic or board program. One option will be to update a specific library; the other is to update all. I suspect in your situation, since there may be other non-incorporated changes, that you click on "update all."

If you do not get the warning about changes to the board, then be sure to double check the device to be sure it shows the changes you made to the package. That is, any change to the board, even if it is just a label, will cause that warning to appear. Your change is a label on a pad, which should prompt the warning, if the change has actually been incorporated into the device.

John

sailmike

Joined Nov 11, 2013
I created another board just to experiment and illustrate the problem better so I don't mess up the other board. You can see that the plus and minus signs in the first photo are in the right place. In the second, after rotating 180 degrees, the plus and minus signs are shifted a bit. In the third, after rotating again 180 degrees, the plus and minus signs are back in the right place. I tried updating all under the library tab and I didn't see any warning for that. Smashing the part doesn't work either. The plus and minus signs were added to the tplace layer for the part in the library package editor.

Attachments

Last edited:

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Rusty on Eagle these days but try:

Change (the wrench icon)->Font-> and monkey with Vector/Fixed/Proportional. Don't remember which worked for us exactly but we changed it from the defaults. Do it in your library image when you get something that works.
Try also: Options->User Interface->Always use Vector Font (looks like you are already). Make it persistent.

You also can just draw things like + and -. The downside is that you can't smash them. On a tight board, you may wind up with legends where you want to put another SMT.

I think I used a mix without thinking much about it. Usually I wind up smashing components after they are in place to get the labels where I want them anyway.
EDIT: looking at a few library components - there's a mix. Probably why I smash a lot.

Hopefully some of this ramble is helpful. Let us know what worked.

Last edited:

sailmike

Joined Nov 11, 2013
Solved the problem! I finally noticed that the ABC+ icons were showing up so I tried clicking on the move icon, then the part, and then the upside down ABC+ icon and that corrected the problem. Clicking on the information icon and then the part and checking the spin box fixes them.