Eagle component ?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ok , I am have trouble in design my circuits.
Basically The only problem I am having is I don't know what capacitor or resistor size corrosponds to my capacitors or resistor size I have when designing.

For example I have a 100pf ceramic-disk cap that gives the lead space as
5.0 mm.

In egale it gives length by width , and then grid for instance
Would this capacitor be the one to use in eagle.
It says this
Package C5B2.5
MKS2 , 7.5X2.5 mm , grid 5.08mm

I was trying to get the grid 5.08 mm as close to the lead spaceing but maybe
this was the wrong thing to use to measure duno?

My part is radioshack 272-0123 .
Seems pretty cumborsome to have to figure out what the exact size for each component...hopefully their is a more universal size that I could use for most of my cap's /resistors ...etc

Thanks for any help on this

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Yes, use the 5.08mm
Standard perfboards have 0.1" hole spacing, which is 2.54mm.
Seems like most everything has gone to the metric system except for PCB's themselves. Often times, suppliers will just round the numbers off to 2.5mm, 5mm, 7.5mm, 10mm, etc - rather than put in the exact number. Besides, 2.54mm isn't exactly 0.1" either. ;)

But if you can get within a couple percent - you're probably OK in electronics.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Also what drill bit should I use to drill the holes for these holes we are talking about.

I got a couple of sets of mill drill bits at harbor frieght
the size go from .032" to 128"

I am think the one to use is .0260" #71
It looks as if it will make the hole almost exact will out going over the copper.
Typically which one would you use for this?

And in eagle is their away to make the copper around the hole thicker/thinner without changing the hole size? If so how?

Also I have part LSP4 which is a solpad which drill bit should I use to drill these holes they are just slightly bigger an I could use the same drill bit I think but I am going to try to fit 22gage copper wire in these wholes so I may need a drill bit that is more precise for these solpad holes which one would you recommand?

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Also what drill bit should I use to drill the holes for these holes we are talking about.

I got a couple of sets of mill drill bits at harbor frieght
the size go from .032" to 128"

I am think the one to use is .0260" #71
It looks as if it will make the hole almost exact will out going over the copper.
Typically which one would you use for this?
0.032" is a pretty good general size to use. Feel free to drill the hole smaller if you want. The smaller the hole you try to drill, the more careful you have to be, otherwise the more bits you will wind up breaking. Smaller bits seem to dull a lot more quickly, too.

And in eagle is their away to make the copper around the hole thicker/thinner without changing the hole size? If so how?
The part's pads and drill sizes are in the part library. I suppose if you wanted a larger pad, you could just drop another larger one on top of what you have already. DRC will complain about clearance issues, so make sure you run ERC and DRC (and fix any errors) before you start doing that.

But before you even do that, you might want to post an image of your schematic and a board image too, before you go to make one - just for a "peer check".

I'm using Eagle 4.16r2, and can't edit schematics/boards made with any later versions.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
To export an image from Eagle for posting on here:
1) Click on File, then Export, then Image
2) for Resolution, use 100 DPI to 150 DPI.
3) You can select Clipboard if you'd like - then click OK, and paste the image into MSPaint and save as a .png, or:
click the Browse button
4) Select .png as the file type.
5) Select the directory to put it in, and give it a filename.
6) Click OK.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Here is a screen shot of the board file as a PNG.
The 2 bigger holes are the ones I am talking about the others are for the capacitors with lead space 5mm.
Thanks

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Hmm - you don't have the grid on, and apparently you have turned the tDocu layer off?

Or are you just dropping pads/vias on a blank board?

Do you know that you are making traces on the top layer? Solid red is the top layer, solid blue is the bottom. When you are using thru-hole components, you generally run traces on the bottom layer, otherwise things get confused pretty quickly.

I see you have your grid spacing set to 0.05" - that is generally what I use.

You're running your traces through all of the vias. This might cause you some problems when drilling the finished board. If you're slightly off with a drill, you'll have to patch up the mess.

You didn't post your schematic, but I think you wanted something like this:

I threw together a board something like I'd lay it out:

Note that the traces don't go through vias; they terminate at them.

Attachments

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Hmm - you don't have the grid on, and apparently you have turned the tDocu layer off?

Or are you just dropping pads/vias on a blank board?

Do you know that you are making traces on the top layer? Solid red is the top layer, solid blue is the bottom. When you are using thru-hole components, you generally run traces on the bottom layer, otherwise things get confused pretty quickly.

I see you have your grid spacing set to 0.05" - that is generally what I use.

You're running your traces through all of the vias. This might cause you some problems when drilling the finished board. If you're slightly off with a drill, you'll have to patch up the mess.
No, I want it the way I had it.

I didn't realize that using the top layer is any different the using the bottom layer. In my opion either one will do. (Why the difference the top of a board can be the bottom and vesa-versa ...etc)

Yes I turned of all the layers except top , pads ,...etc
I only need one layer and the pads for etching purposes.

I am not understanding this part of the quote.

Ok, here is the schematic/board files

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You created those files with a version of Eagle later than 4.16r2.

I cannot help you with them, as I cannot read them with my version.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
I didn't realize that using the top layer is any different the using the bottom layer. In my opion either one will do. (Why the difference the top of a board can be the bottom and vesa-versa ...etc)

Yes I turned of all the layers except top , pads ,...etc
I only need one layer and the pads for etching purposes.

Most generally, you would put the components on the opposite side of the traces and pads on a one sided board....

when doing 1 sided PCB's, do all bottom layer..... makes it easier to solder the components that way...

Single sided PCB.jpg

sigle sided PCB bottom.jpg

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
If you have traces on the top of the board, it'll be a lot easier to accidentally tear them off.

With thru-hole components, you insert the leads through the holes, bend them flat against the board, solder them down, and snip off the excess. This holds the components on, connects them electrically, and makes it reasonably strong physically. If the traces are on the top, the leads going through the holes don't add any strength, because there is nothing to attach them to on the other side. Instead, the soldered components can act as a lever to pry the traces off the board.

radiohead

Joined May 28, 2009
Yes, use the 5.08mm
Standard perfboards have 0.1" hole spacing, which is 2.54mm.
Seems like most everything has gone to the metric system except for PCB's themselves. Often times, suppliers will just round the numbers off to 2.5mm, 5mm, 7.5mm, 10mm, etc - rather than put in the exact number. Besides, 2.54mm isn't exactly 0.1" either. ;)

But if you can get within a couple percent - you're probably OK in electronics.
If you think about it, the United States is the only country in the world that hasn't converted to the metric system. We have to be different, I suppose.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Here's what I was talking about running traces through vias:

Better to have traces terminate at vias, than just run them through.

It's harder to fix damage unless you have a nice wide trace nearby.
What is vias?
I had that turned off so I don't understand what your getting at?

I do understand now why to use bottom layer instead of top layer.
Right now I made everything bottom layer. And I only have pads and bottom layer enabled.

Curious to know what drill bits I should use for these holes and for the pads. This is my only last thing before I etch it out...

Thanks again

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
What are vias?
Sorry, I meant pads. :rolleyes:
Vias appear basically similar to pads, but normally just used to make connections between various board layers, rather than for connecting components to.

Curious to know what drill bits I should use for these holes and for the pads. This is my only last thing before I etch it out...
OK, what library/libraries did you select the components from, and which package(s) do the components use?

Click the "i" tool on the top of the left menu bar, and then click each component.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Package C5B2.5

After doing a bit of hunting, found that you got that from capacitor-wima.lbr
The holes are 0.032" diameter.

I usually use the rcl.lbr; it has a pretty broad selection.
However, you can use any library you see fit.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ok , I still am haveing one more problem with hole size.

For the 3 solpads I have the hole size is what I want but I would like to increase the thickness of the solder ring around these holes. How would you do this? I have clicked on the pads and nothing shows up where I can manipulate the thickness/thinness around these holes....??? ( is this property not setable and you must try to search thru libs to find a device that best fits what you want for the holes because that would suck hopefully it is setable)

I have googled and they said use DRC but when I go to DRC > restring nothing seems to work I don't understand what all this crap is I just want to have the ability to set the hole copper ring thickness.

The solder pads are from library solpad , device MCS08
They should provide an easy way to manipulate a devices solder ring thickness somewhere. I want to keep everything the same just increase the amount of solder around devices not change the hole size for this component. I always have to search for another device , sometimes their not out their.

Package C5B2.5

After doing a bit of hunting, found that you got that from capacitor-wima.lbr
The holes are 0.032" diameter.
So for my drill bit to use for the cap holes I should select the drill bit that is closest to that number. If their is a tie between what sizes are closer should I always go with the one under the 0.032" and not the one slightly above but a little closer in distance to 0.032"

Thanks for your help

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Click on Tools, then DRC...
Click the Restring tab.
Look at Pads, Bottom. Go to the 2nd column. Change it from 25 to 50. Click the Apply button. Presto, your pads are larger. That's the largest you can go without editing the package in the library.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Here is the eagle page a download 5.6 but now they are up to 5.7
should be backwards compatible or you can go to the bottom ftp site and get version 5.6 freeware ( if you have a seperate computer to quickly install it)
http://www.cadsoft.de/download.htm

Click on Tools, then DRC...
Click the Restring tab.
Look at Pads, Bottom. Go to the 2nd column. Change it from 25 to 50. Click the Apply button. Presto, your pads are larger. That's the largest you can go without editing the package in the library.
I tried it ... nothing happens to the hole size.
here try it yourself maybe I am missing something.
Attached is my board file/sch file.

Thanks

If you turn off all layers except the holes/pads then I should see the pads/holes copper ring thickening / or thinning depending on the values I set in DRC>restring>

Attachments