Eagle Cad symbol pins

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
I am fairly new to Eagle and trying to create my own component in a library for the first time. The part I want to create is a PCF8563 in an 8 pin SOIC package.

I have copied another SO8 component to my library and stated editing it but have hit a problem. The symbol I copied is drawn with 2 pins one one side and 6 on the other but the package obviously has 4 pads down each side. How do I know which pins on the symbol relate to which pins on the package?

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I am fairly new to Eagle and trying to create my own component in a library for the first time. The part I want to create is a PCF8563 in an 8 pin SOIC package.

I have copied another SO8 component to my library and stated editing it but have hit a problem. The symbol I copied is drawn with 2 pins one one side and 6 on the other but the package obviously has 4 pads down each side. How do I know which pins on the symbol relate to which pins on the package?
Can't you name/number the pins on your symbol?

It's been a while since I used Eagle...

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
The symbol I copied is drawn with 2 pins one one side and 6 on the other but the package obviously has 4 pads down each side. How do I know which pins on the symbol relate to which pins on the package?
The symbol can have a different pin arrangement than the package layout.

In the symbol editor, move the pins around to suit your fancy. Make sure the little green circles are on the free ends of the package diagram (that's where the wires connect. Use NAME to name the pins (or keep the default P$1 etc).

If you have the package (PCB symbol you need) you are good to go. If not, make one to fit the physical pins of the package. Number the pads accordingly. You can also use any suitable package in the library.

What you are looking for now is to create the DEVICE. Do this in the library editor (that you used for the symbol and package). Click EDIT and at the bottom click DEV(ice) and enter a name in the NEW box. This is is where you tie the schematic symbol to one or more packages (each with a unique package name).

In the device editor, ADD the symbol in the big window. Next, right click in the PACKAGE window and select a package (or NEW to add one to the list) in the right window.

Once you do that, click CONNECT at the bottom. A window will open with two lists, the symbol pins on the left and the package pins in the middle. Click a symbol pin and click a package pin to assign to each other and click CONNECT. The new connection is shown in the right pane. Continue until all symbol pins have been assigned to the package pins.

Add a description and save the device / package. Note that you can now select another package (SMT vs DIP) and do the connection process again so that in the PCB editor, you can use one symbol and select between packages.

Last edited:

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
Thanks again it worked great. The item that I copied already had a device so I just had to open the device view and then, as you said, click Connect, delete the existing pin mappings and and add new ones.